pruning maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's best to trim when it's dormant because you can see the structure. Also, if you make a hole, come spring it will fill in right away, if you make a hole in the growing season it will be more obvious.

There are some diseases that would be less likely to spread with dormant trimming too, I would say this is not a big issue and I would trim during the growing season if it needed it.

If you prune late in the winter, you may get some sap flow, mostly you will hear that this is not harmful to the plant, but since you asked when is the BEST time, I will add that you are not as likely to get this flow in early winter or late fall, so that would be the best.

The reason I like to avoid the flow is it contains sugar(the product of photosynthesis), taste it, it's sweet, the tree works hard to make this sugar, why let it flow down the tree? If it does, do not freak out, it won't matter, much.

Now you want to know how to trim. Just have a reason for every branch you remove. Start with dead branches, then rubbing, then basil suckers, then branches growing back towards the center, then parallel brances that are competing for the the same space, then that one branch that pokes your husband in the eye when he mows( I say husband 'cus your name sounds feminine).

Latest posts

Back