Pruning Norway Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCrab1027

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's been a very mild and dry winter here in Maryland. Today, March 15, is 75 degrees. Would this be a good time to trim lower branches on my Norway Maple trees? They are mature trees and I have seen no apparent disease or insect damage. Thanks.

Blue,
You can prune just about any time of the year. With Norway's you will get some sap running this early. Don't be alarmed. or you can wait til the leaves fully form and prune.

Don't remove to much. Take only about 20 percent at one time.

They are large trees that overhang too low over my patio and almost totally block out the sun. I can't get grass to grow beneath them. Any recommendations for a good "very-dense-shade" grass mixture?

Thanks for the replies.

Even if you raise the tree limbs up to let sun in you will still have trouble with the grass because the maple has very shallow densely growing roots.
I would leave as many as the lower brances as you can, to benefit the tree. Then use bark mulch in the area where the grass does poorly. The mulch will decompose over time and become excellent food for the tree, and ideal environment for micro-biological activity...ahh, the circle of life.
Remove the limbs that poke you in the eye, but consider leaving as many of the others as you can. Don't you want nice shade on the patio come the dog days of August? The tree wants shade on it's roots.
The growing conditions that are favorable for grass, are bad for trees. Grass out competes the tree for nutrients and water. Grass also dries out soil which in turn reduces populations of benificial mychorizal fungi, with out which some trees slowly die. Lawn mower and string trimmer damage is a major cause of tree death. I could go on and on with reasons to leave the lower limbs but I don't want to bore you to death, just convince you to remove only those limbs that need removing.

Gents:

Thanks for the comments and advice. I'll probably go with bark mulch out to the dripline. After several years of no grass, it's something I was considering anyway. It should look pretty good. Great site here.

Installing compost sandwiches John? Good advise.

Blue, start off clearing any residual grass clumps. Spread a thin layer of compost and top with mulch. Total depth 3-4 inches and away from the stem by about 6 inches.

You'll like the idea of mulching when you've finished. It's not only healthier for the tree (we humans like to rake up all those leaves and take them away from the tree), will serve to accent the tree, and give you less grass to mow.

Latest posts

Back