Pruning Paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytondedrick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any you boys use this stuff while climbing? Is it worth it? Where does it go when you're climbing? Tips ever clog up/fall off? I try to be religous with it but cant hold onto it, lose the tips or they get clogged. I'm ready to scrap the whole step entirely! I dont see much talk here about it, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Thanks fellas! Remember when you're throwing chips bigger than your thumbnail life is good.

The last time I used it was when I hacked off some low large limbs on an oak during the season when oakwilt was more prominent but have never used it any other time aside for that purpose. I just used a little from a spray can just to cover my ass and make it look like I knew halfway what I was doing.
It might be a little upsetting for you to know the paint in not even close to being needed in most cases.

The last time I used it was when I hacked off some low large limbs on an oak during the season when oakwilt was more prominent but have never used it any other time aside for that purpose. I just used a little from a spray can just to cover my ass and make it look like I knew halfway what I was doing.
It might be a little upsetting for you to know the paint in not even close to being needed in most cases.

:agree2:

But in some rare cases it can be very useful, and ANSI-compliant.

Au contraire..................comes in real handy to disguise how bad a tree looks after a big log or skidsteer bounces off the tree next to the tree being worked on.

or those pesky saw gashes made above every pruning cut by the new guy.

Any you boys use this stuff while climbing? Is it worth it? Where does it go when you're climbing? Tips ever clog up/fall off? I try to be religous with it but cant hold onto it, lose the tips or they get clogged. I'm ready to scrap the whole step entirely! I dont see much talk here about it, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Thanks fellas! Remember when you're throwing chips bigger than your thumbnail life is good.

I've used it on jobs that called for it's use in the specs and I've used it on bark tracing lightning strikes and trunk collisions. IMO, it is more cosmetic that anything. When I first began tree can in 1980 we painted every cut over 1" dia. with paint pot and brush. Stinking stuff would be all over everything. It (the little paint pot) hung on a snap on the saddle. The spray cans I used had a hose clamp and attachment that also snapped on the saddle. I never have to much problem clogging as I spray a good burst when finished upside down and store away out of freezing temps.

Back