Pruning Weeping Cherry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lany

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have 3 weeping cherry trees that I planted 2 springs ago....they are approximately 5.5 feet tall. Last summer I noticed that one of the trees has a shoot growing out from the top of it and it is growing up towards the sky instead of the weeping characteristic of the other branches and new shoots. Should I prune this and if so when is the best time to do so. I live in Southeastern Mass. Thanks in advance.

Elaine

At the branch collar. You should see a definite transition- a litle ridge.

No sweat. Not too often we get questions from my neck of the woods.

Really....well in that case here is another one for you...
I plan on having 11 trees removed from my back yard. All pines and oaks, limbed to about 25 ft., the pines stand 60-70 ft tall. I noticed on your website your company does not travel to the south shore -- but what would I be looking at for a cost -- a really rough estimate since you can't see the yard. If you can't estimate, not a big deal I understand, just throwing it out there...

Actually, it does go that far.

Depends widely on what the company has for equipment, whether the pines are worthy of hauiling to a mill, obstacles and what-not.

I'd guess somewhere between $6 to $10k, sight unseen.

Originally posted by lany
I plan on having 11 trees removed from my back yard.
What are your goals for the yard after the trees are removed?
Just Wondering...;) ;)

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should get someone out here to take a closer look.

To answer your question Guy, the trees are all in the middle of my back yard and frankly are quite messy. I had my back yard redone 2 years ago, hauled in 111 yards of loam, graded, and hydroseeded, stone wall, so on. At the time, I didn't want to get rid of the trees but they are really doing a number on the lawn, the pine cones, needles, but mostly the acorns. After they are gone I will plant smaller, easier to maintain trees such as a weeping Japanese Katsura and an Eastern Redbud. I also plan to extend my existing flower garden and start more now that I will have more sun. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back