Prunning Sunset Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoTim

Reaction score
I had a Sunset Maple tree planted late last fall (about a 4" diameter trunk). The leaves appear to be somewhat shirveled as if it is still under stress and there are quite a few thin dead branches or thin branches that only have leaves at the very top. I have watered it regularly all summer and the soil is on the sandy side with a deep water table (20 feet). I am considering trimming the dead branches and prunning the ones that only have leaves at the very top down to the closest branch. Is this the proper thing to do and when should I do it? I live in south central New York. Should I wait untill the leaves start to change or fall off? Thanks for any and all advice.

Yes your tree is still under tranplant stress. You can figure on about one year for each inch of caliper before a tree becomes established. I would not prune anything for now, one you cut it's gone. See how your tree looks next year after leaf out. If you have a dead branch (scrap the bark with your finger nail and if the tissue underneath is not green its dead) cut it at the point of attachment. But leave the branch collar.

Prune maples after they leaf out.

Latest posts

Back