PS-5100 is it as good as an 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem

Man if you are at Big Dave's gtg. I want to try some of your saws out.

346xp NWCS
5100s (DN)
359 (DN)(if I could only have one saw)[/i]
MS361 (WHS)
372xp (DN)
7900 (DN)

You are more then welcome too. The darn addiction that this site as given me has put me into a really strange predicament. Too many modified saws to break in so that I can truly decide which ones I can't "do" without. I'd love to get some more tanks of gas run through these suckers!

You are more then welcome too. The darn addiction that this site as given me has put me into a really strange predicament. Too many modified saws to break in so that I can truly decide which ones I can't "do" without. I'd love to get some more tanks of gas run through these suckers!

Come on down, just set a 7 foot piece of poplar on the stand today and alot of ash tree tops in the woods from select cutting this summer.

And you could try these.
Stock 5000+
5000+ EC
357 DN
7900 EC
066 EC
084 BC

Lordie me fellers, dayummmm

Looks like this thread is getting alittle hog wild and temper filled somewhat. I been watching this thread all day and admired how Ralph has kept things in hand but yaw making his job tuffer as it goes on. No need for any of it. Yaw getting worked up over these two saws all for nothing.

Both of these saws are great saws, no question about it what so ever. I own them both and I like them both, ALOT. The 5100 is a little screamer, a real powerhouse for its size. I'm quite amazed at the power this saw puts out. Its smooth and its fast. Some worry of parts. I say if you maintain it and take care of it you shouldn't need many parts if any. The 361 is another goodie. Ample power, easy to use and probly one of , if not the most, relaible saw on the market. I've sold many many of them and have yet to have a single one come back for repair. I've yet to have one come in that was bought somewhere else. I'm eager to get my hands in one but I've been waiting years now and no such luck.

I'd be willing to venture those that have a 5100 love it, those that have a 361 love it too. That said whats all the fuss about. The Dolmar man isn't going to convince the Stihl man the Dolmar is better and the Stilh man isn't going to convince the Dolmar man the Stihl is better. I say run the saws and enjoy them. They both are pleasers and they both please me just fine.

Book spec talk verses hands on talk, whats going on there. I like hands on but I got no problem with getting the specs. Sawtroll likes to quote the specs not on just these saws but all saws. No biggie to me, doesn't hurt my eyes abit to see the specs. I've ask Sawtroll specs at times on saws I don't know anything about and he always has the specs, comes in handy for me at times, especailly when he and me are fussing about those Huskies he likes,haha. If he didn't give me the specs I wouldn't be able to have fun with him about those saws. Hands on, use them to know them, thats cool too. Got no issue with that either, its mainly what I do. Hands on is the main factor, to know them is to use them, thats correct. However knowing the specs of those you haven't used or don't know much about comes in handy too. I see no harm in taking either approach, both ways are good for knowledge. That said calm down boys, its not worth arguing over.

Looks like this thread is getting alittle hog wild and temper filled somewhat. I been watching this thread all day and admired how Ralph has kept things in hand but yaw making his job tuffer as it goes on. No need for any of it. Yaw getting worked up over these two saws all for nothing.

Both of these saws are great saws, no question about it what so ever. I own them both and I like them both, ALOT. The 5100 is a little screamer, a real powerhouse for its size. I'm quite amazed at the power this saw puts out. Its smooth and its fast. Some worry of parts. I say if you maintain it and take care of it you shouldn't need many parts if any. The 361 is another goodie. Ample power, easy to use and probly one of , if not the most, relaible saw on the market. I've sold many many of them and have yet to have a single one come back for repair. I've yet to have one come in that was bought somewhere else. I'm eager to get my hands in one but I've been waiting years now and no such luck.

I'd be willing to venture those that have a 5100 love it, those that have a 361 love it too. That said whats all the fuss about. The Dolmar man isn't going to convince the Stihl man the Dolmar is better and the Stilh man isn't going to convince the Dolmar man the Stihl is better. I say run the saws and enjoy them. They both are pleasers and they both please me just fine.

Book spec talk verses hands on talk, whats going on there. I like hands on but I got no problem with getting the specs. Sawtroll likes to quote the specs not on just these saws but all saws. No biggie to me, doesn't hurt my eyes abit to see the specs. I've ask Sawtroll specs at times on saws I don't know anything about and he always has the specs, comes in handy for me at times, especailly when he and me are fussing about those Huskies he likes,haha. If he didn't give me the specs I wouldn't be able to have fun with him about those saws. Hands on, use them to know them, thats cool too. Got no issue with that either, its mainly what I do. Hands on is the main factor, to know them is to use them, thats correct. However knowing the specs of those you haven't used or don't know much about comes in handy too. I see no harm in taking either approach, both ways are good for knowledge. That said calm down boys, its not worth arguing over.

Good post Tom I will rep you for it...

windthrown - I agree.

Here are some of the facts the way I see it.
1) Like many have said the ms361 and the 5100 shouldn't be compared since they fall into two different size classes.
2) I have seen very few people that have purchased a 5100 or an ms361 complain, or be unhappy with it.
3) Dolmar saws do perform well and there prices are very good. Later on, once they have a good dealer network setup, pour money into advertising, etc. I'm curious to see if they continue to undercut stihl and husky.
4) Dolmar still has a ways to go in setting up there infrastructure here in the US.

I hope dolmar does progress in the forward direction and all of us will benefit from it, because we all have an interest in saws. Tough competition amongst stihl, husky, jonsered dolmar etc. will lend itself to more robust higher quality saws in the future.

No problem

Man if you are at Big Dave's gtg. I want to try some of your saws out.

346xp NWCS
5100s (DN)
359 (DN)(if I could only have one saw)[/i]
MS361 (WHS)
372xp (DN)
7900 (DN)

I have no idea why this posted again. sorry

Last edited:
Ohio

Come on down, just set a 7 foot piece of poplar on the stand today and alot of ash tree tops in the woods from select cutting this summer.

And you could try these.
Stock 5000+
5000+ EC
357 DN
7900 EC
066 EC
084 BC

Cut4Fun, where are you at in Ohio?

Cut4Fun, where are you at in Ohio?

I would guess a 1 1/2 hours from Toledo. I just looked up your spot and it looks like you are close to MIS, i used to go to for races.
Thats a long haul, just to test some saws. So see you at Dave's, if I am lucky.

Last edited:
Robby hate to bust your bubble but the Dolmar dealer priced me a 7900 24 bar for 782.00 no way cheaper than my Stihl

What?

Well, Bailey's catalog, page 7...

Dolmar 7900 Price: $689.95. No bar/chain.

But I know where you can get one online for $575... no bar/chain.

That's cheaper than Stihl-billy prices.

for sure

I would guess a 1 1/2 hours from Toledo. I just looked up your spot and it looks like you are close to MIS, i used to go to for races.
Thats a long haul, just to test some saws. So see you at Dave's, if I am lucky.

I can smell the 2-stroke already.

I didnt mean to compare the saws just wanted to know if the 5100 was as good as the 361.......dam witch kinda is doing that.

Anyways thanks for the help on this subject and im sorry to make all this pain in the azz.

And for the MI GTG I want to go, where and when. I live in Nashville MI plus got some friends that would like to go.

SawTroll

Question: Does the Dolmar 5100S weigh the same as the DCS 5000 Makita version sold in Great Britain? I wondered if the weight quoted for the 5100S, which is less than what mine weighs on a certified scale, is more accurate for the British version, which is sold by the owner of the Dolmar brand.

Question: Does the Dolmar 5100S weigh the same as the DCS 5000 Makita version sold in Great Britain? I wondered if the weight quoted for the 5100S, which is less than what mine weighs on a certified scale, is more accurate for the British version, which is sold by the owner of the Dolmar brand.

As far as I know, the weight of the 5000 is 5.2kg (KWF/DLG), and the 5100 is 5.3kg, 5.5 with heated handles (cuttinscott, and others).

I have no idea why there is a differense...........

I didnt mean to compare the saws just wanted to know if the 5100 was as good as the 361.......dam witch kinda is doing that.

Anyways thanks for the help on this subject and im sorry to make all this pain in the azz.

And for the MI GTG I want to go, where and when. I live in Nashville MI plus got some friends that would like to go.

"As good" is a relative term, the 361 is a larger and more powerful saw - simple as that..........

The 5100S is about midway between the 346xp and MS 361 in all respects that I care about.

Last edited:
"As good" is a relative term, the 361 is a larger and more powerful saw - simple as that..........

The 5100S is about midway between the 346xp and MS 361 in all respects that I care about.

Good point there Sawtroll. People mistake the 5100 as being equal in size to the 361 when it is not, its a smaller saw. I believe the reason most do is because of the performance the 5100 delivers for its size, its a powerhouse indeed. It not far behind the 361 in brute power but its just not big enough to equal the 361, so by rights it shouldn't be equal in power. For its size though I gotta tell ya its one mean moma. I like the way the 5100 hums. Both are dayummm good saws from what I know about each of them. The 361 has stood the test of time and I'm pretty certain the 5100 will too, I likem both.

Latest posts

Back