Pushing Length Limits on Splits in Stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been loading some of the really small splits, horizontal, on the top of the long ones and seems like it burns better and gets more air-flow around the wood.
This is similar to a top-down fire. It's the technique that I use to light the stove. Two or three large logs go in first, small splits wrapped with newspaper on top. Maybe two or three more unwrapped small spits above that. The small stuff burns first and drops hot coals onto the larger logs at the bottom.

When the small splits are gone, add regular logs to the fire, once again, top down and from there on out. It works very well, and I usually add two regular logs to the fire at a time.

This is similar to a top-down fire. It's the technique that I use to light the stove. Two or three large logs go in first, small splits wrapped with newspaper on top. Maybe two or three more unwrapped small spits above that. The small stuff burns first and drops hot coals onto the larger logs at the bottom.

When the small splits are gone, add regular logs to the fire, once again, top down and from there on out. It works very well, and I usually add two regular logs to the fire at a time.

My starting procedure is 2 sitcks of pine scrap lumber, 16" long X 3/4" X 1" or close to it, lay 2 more sticks perpendicular, strip a newspaper and throw inbetween and on top, couple strips of carboard, light paper, throw splits on, leave door open and come back down in 10-15 minutes to shut door and go to work. takes a few minutes, if that. There are usually coals in bottom so pine starts really quick. If, there are a lot of coals, I just do the pine sticks and throw splits on top, no paper or nothing. Mainly to get some air movement under splits.

I cut my logs to a length that allows me to easily add wood to a hot stove without fumbling around. I see no added benefit to cutting to the maximum width. . . my stove will take 20 inch longs but all my wood gets cut 15-16 inch. I personally think I get the same heat out of a 16 inch log as a 20 inch. The outside edges 20 inch never burn completely and often crumble when raked over towards the air intakes.... The crumbled charcoal gets mixed with ashes and does not get burn ..... Goes out in the ash bucket.... 16 inch burn completely. . .

Anybody else push their limits when cutting rounds to size to fit in stove? I can squeeze a 24" in my stove, which works out well with my 24" cylinder on splitter. So, technically if I can't split, it won't fit in stove. I have not had one fit yet, but there are a few, like tonight, where if the door didn't have the rope seal, it would not close. So, next time I cut I think I am just gonna go 20" and be done with it. I had a ton of Silver Maple and wanted the longest burn times, but my wife hates the long splits too.

I might try selling some bundles too next year, n got a buddy wanting some 12" lengths for his small firepit. I have been picking a lot of the IBC totes for cheap lately. Maybe have a couple totes around the splitter and separate when splitting. But, got about 2-3 years ahead, even after this burning season.
always, which is why the firebrick is busted at the back of my stove.

Odd size guy here. Our insert firebox is relatively small (18" wide x 12" deep) so I cut 13" or 10". Thirteens for normal day burns and the tens go straight in (the short way) for the night. Like others have said, it's nice to have slop/wiggle room when loading a hot stove. I have Sharpie marks on my 250 bar or use a scratch stick for big stuff being bucked with the 441.

Odd size guy here. Our insert firebox is relatively small (18" wide x 12" deep) so I cut 13" or 10". Thirteens for normal day burns and the tens go straight in (the short way) for the night. Like others have said, it's nice to have slop/wiggle room when loading a hot stove. I have Sharpie marks on my 250 bar or use a scratch stick for big stuff being bucked with the 441.
One of my customers has a small fireplace insert just like that. To supply him with firewood, I keep a log 17-1/2" long on the tailgate when loading his logs and splits. I measure each one against the "standard" on the tailgate, rejecting every log that's longer and saving those for other customers. It's kind of a slow process, but he usually orders two loads a year and says that thanks to my method, all of his logs fit inside the insert.

All I know it don't matter what size crappy chunk of junk boxelder, even if dropped off on driveway for free, I will not split or burn anymore of that horrible wood........I cut and loaded a few decent size logs while clearing a grove a few years back, and I am burning splits now. It is just light crap wood with no weight, don't burn real nice, stinks a bit and not worth the time......

Finishing a room above garage that is going to be master bed, master bath, giant closet/laundry, and another bathroom.....so I am burnin some scraps from that right now with the regular splits. Got it tied in to the old upstairs finally. We stripped plaster off the other 3 rooms upstairs a couple months ago. Burning some old wood in the 100+ year old house that we pulled off old outside wall......Fun stuff.........I hate remodeling........

All I know it don't matter what size crappy chunk of junk boxelder, even if dropped off on driveway for free, I will not split or burn anymore of that horrible wood........I cut and loaded a few decent size logs while clearing a grove a few years back, and I am burning splits now. It is just light crap wood with no weight, don't burn real nice, stinks a bit and not worth the time......

Finishing a room above garage that is going to be master bed, master bath, giant closet/laundry, and another bathroom.....so I am burnin some scraps from that right now with the regular splits. Got it tied in to the old upstairs finally. We stripped plaster off the other 3 rooms upstairs a couple months ago. Burning some old wood in the 100+ year old house that we pulled off old outside wall......Fun stuff.........I hate remodeling........

Cut and split some box elder early last spring but I think majority of it went to campfire wood for some fella, can't imagine it's any worse than cottonwood.

I sell a fair bit of poplar. I burn some at home too. I'm not fussy, it makes heat.

I dont cull any wood when it comes to filling my stove. If it burns I use it. All my wood gets bucked in a big pile and split in a big pile and scooped up with the fel to put in the shed. Its somehow all gets mixed together so I dont sort or even make a effort to have a stack of good or bad wood. I pick it off the stacks as I come to it. My stacks, while currently are mostly whiteoak, there is some popular, yellow pine, whitepine, red maple, and river birch, some dogwood and sourwood and some stuff I aint even sure what it is. Stove dont care and neither do I.

Our Jotul F600CB takes up to 24 inch wood and we often push the limits but most is between 20 and 24". Here's a photo of a 55 gallon barrel that has been cut exactly 24 inches high to make it easy to spot over length pieces. The wood in the barrel is on it's ends and a couple pieces have been placed on top. I believe this load is all pine.

Wood carrying barrel 003.jpg Wood carrying barrel 003.jpg

Latest posts

Back