Put new Stihl ms250 to work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhornet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I finaly was able to put my new Stihl 250 to work today. I have an acre of brush behind the house that I’ve slowly been clearing the last few years. Well I ran two tanks threw the saw. Thing ran real nice. Cut mostly dead elm and poplar but then there’s the dreaded thorn apple I hate them. Biggest I cut was probably a 15” dead elm nothing major most are 6” to 10” just a lot of junk in a small area. I’m trying to save all the maple, ash, and apple. The apples are just the sour green ones but the deer like them so they stay for now. The 250 came with the 18” bar and still has the green chain. To me it seams to work fine but I see where others are putting a 16” on it and I know the 025 came that way also, should I downsize it. I do have a regular chain as a spare just thought I would use the origin until I break it in. Should I pull the screen from the muffler now? Don’t think I’m going to do the whole MM it’s a small saw and knew what I was getting but you never know. Any thing else I should know about the saw, Becides I need a bigger one, Maybe some day but right now the 250 fits me well.

I have a 50cc MS 270 with a 20" bar, and a36cc MS 211 with a 16" bar. Your's would be right in between the two. For limbing, and ease of getting in and about brushy areas, the 16" bar is great. For bucking all that stuff the longer bar saves your back somewhat. Yep; those horse apple (osage orange) trees are a pain. I cleared some of that this past fall.

Latest posts

Back