Quality differences between Poulan Pro and low end Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david0858

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We've had several trees die from the drought the last two or three years and they need cut down and cut up sooner or later. For the last ten years or so I have had an Echo CS-305 and love it (I have a messed up right shoulder and it's 7.5 lb weight is really nice). I've cut down and up a few trees (some of which were way out of it's size range but it did them) and cut up a LOT of limbs that fell with it. It's been great. With all we have to cut up now I didn't want to put all the work on my baby and some of them are a little too big for the Echo anyway.

I was watching the refurbished chainsaw place for a sale on the Husqvarna 435, but the Poulan Pro 4218A popped up for a very short time for $74.99 total to my house. I don't know if the price was a mistake or what but a few days later it showed up on the brown truck and looked new. I bought it knowing that it would probably be out of tune and it was. It was so far out of tune that it wouldn't hardly run and was probably the reason it had been returned, but after a good tuning it runs like a top, starts perfect and cuts good. It now has a Oregon 91VXL062G chain with the factory for a spare.

Money was a major object but I still wonder what or if I would have gained quality wise holding out for the Husqvarna 435. I would have for sure had a little less weight.

I got a husky 435 right now waiting on a new carb the purge valve as i call it has failed and the saw just floods with gas my buddy that that 435 belongs to has a pp 4218 that hes been using for a couple of years he got the 435 on his crap list right he said the poulan hasent failed yet

Did you go to VMInnovations..?? - They have the Husky 435 at 3 different prices.

New at $280 - 435-ARC-RB $197 - 435-BRC-RB $175

I would have spent the extra $100 or so and have at least got the $175 model.

J2F

The Husky 435 is a few notches higher in the quality department.

I have had both and I have to ask you where the better quality is? Does the Husky use better quality plastic? I didn't really see it anywhere.

I know one thing a properly tuned 4218 with the 3/8's low pro is a better cutter then a properly tuned 435 with the .325 on it. The weight between the two is probably negligible, and the 435 will need just as much tuning as the 4218 will.

I have had both and I have to ask you where the better quality is? Does the Husky use better quality plastic? I didn't really see it anywhere.

I know one thing a properly tuned 4218 with the 3/8's low pro is a better cutter then a properly tuned 435 with the .325 on it. The weight between the two is probably negligible, and the 435 will need just as much tuning as the 4218 will.
Mark, I'm not really up on the newer Poulans, but love the older ones. So if you say the 4218 is as good or better, then I can't argue with ya man...:)

Got a PP4218 a year or so back, from VMInnovations for $94. Needed a few things tended to up front:
1. junk "torch" plug tossed, in favor of an NGK BM7A, which crosses to Champion CJ-6, a step colder than OEM recommendation. (Once the carb was adjusted properly, it was obvious that "stock" equivalent plug was too hot- bony white insulator. Now it starts hot.
2. carb needed high-speed adjustment.
3. soft OEM chain needed recycling, for chains made of better steel- WoodlandPro 30LP.

With those things done, the saw is much improved. Already had good fuel endurance and A/V.
Makes a good limbing saw, suitable for felling/bucking up to ~16". For the price, you can't have everything.
As is, it will "walk" a stihl 250, besides having much lower vibes. It's all about bang/buck.

The newer poulans cut just fine if you get enough fuel to them and open the mufflers a scosh. And don't yank the snot out of them starting them, that's all.

They are absolutely the most cussed at abused saws out there, yet they keep on getting wood from long pieces to shorter pieces, at the cheapest price. That's what happens, guys get them cheap, then treat them like crap, then wonder why they won't work, then cuss the saw out because they fail at saw owning. Treat them like you would something you spent serious money on, they will fire up and perform.

I was visiting my friend at the local OPE shop yesterday, he had another collection of drained fuel jars he had taken from ringmeats equipment. Hilarious! He had one, less than a pint, had an inch of water at the bottom and mud in it! I mean, chunks!

"Whine, my do dad won't start/run good, etc, it's a POS"!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Makes for good used deals though!

Tell ya, ethanol and dirt contaminated gasoline is the number one reason for repairs it seems. Add in tuned lean to the point of failure carbs direct from de store...there ya go. "Refurbs".

Mark, I'm not really up on the newer Poulans, but love the older ones. So if you say the 4218 is as good or better, then I can't argue with ya man...:)

Nope not saying its better, I just dont see what would make the 435 any better. A bit nicer maybe? Because it cost more? Naw not really just different plastic setup mostly, not really sure there is much quality difference under the hood.

Honestly it takes a pretty good 40cc saw to run .325 with any gusto. Neither of these two are really up to that task and the 4218 is better off of the two being setup with low pro.

That said, having been the owner of both I would not pay extra for the orange plastic.

Got a PP4218 a year or so back, from VMInnovations for $94. Needed a few things tended to up front:
1. junk "torch" plug tossed, in favor of an NGK BM7A, which crosses to Champion CJ-6, a step colder than OEM recommendation. (Once the carb was adjusted properly, it was obvious that "stock" equivalent plug was too hot- bony white insulator. Now it starts hot.
2. carb needed high-speed adjustment.
3. soft OEM chain needed recycling, for chains made of better steel- WoodlandPro 30LP.

With those things done, the saw is much improved. Already had good fuel endurance and A/V.
Makes a good limbing saw, suitable for felling/bucking up to ~16". For the price, you can't have everything.
As is, it will "walk" a stihl 250, besides having much lower vibes. It's all about bang/buck.

I think I bought 4 of them at one time from them, none had that Torch plug in it. I never seen a Poulan with one either, I think they all came with Champions. I wonder if it was changed out by the owner before it got refurbed?

I have a Refurbed PP5020AV and really cant find anything wrong with it.

I mean sure it would be nice if it had a adjustable oiler and was a tad lighter but I really dont care that much.

Starts great btw and cuts just fine.

Yes, My Husqvarna 455 Rancher has a "Better Feel" to it but the Poulan is still just fine and gets stuff done so far.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/a-bunch-of-fallen-dirty-wood-saw-choice.256301/

For $200 new, the 5020 is the best saw out there at that price. Start adding adjustable oilers and such and pretty soon it wont be a $200 saw anymore. It serves its intended purpose and most of those that have that purpose for it wouldn't even think about things like a adjustable oiler.

We'll see how well it holds up but I figured for $75 I couldn't lose too bad and it runs great now. I could have got 2 1/2 for the price of one 435. :)

After I bought the 4218 I was reading the reviews on various sites (yea, I know, a little late) and if you throw out the bad reviews for obvious tuning problems, either not running right to start with or engine problems from running too lean, the reviews weren't bad.

We'll see how well it holds up but I figured for $75 I couldn't lose too bad and it runs great now. I could have got 2 1/2 for the price of one 435. :)

After I bought the 4218 I was reading the reviews on various sites (yea, I know, a little late) and if you throw out the bad reviews for obvious tuning problems, either not running right to start with or engine problems from running too lean, the reviews weren't bad.

I like the point you made, "I could have got 2 1/2 for the price of one 435".

That sums up a lot of what I was saying, the 435 isnt really and better and is surely not worth that much more.

Treat it with care and respect and it will serve you well.

Thought you guys may want to know these 4218 poulans (non running) are going for $42 delivered w/ bar and chain from that mvinnovatios outfit.You may get one of those that are so leaned out....they won't even start. I stuck my neck out on two yesterday.

Thought you guys may want to know these 4218 poulans (non running) are going for $42 delivered w/ bar and chain from that mvinnovatios outfit.You may get one of those that are so leaned out....they won't even start. I stuck my neck out on two yesterday.

I've never seen them list any "non running" saw. The one I got a year-plus back was close, and a little enrichment on the top end really got it screaming nicely. Hot restarts were very iffy, with the POS "torch" plug- they have room for improvement there. NGK a big PLUS.

If you can't get adequate fuel delivery with the choke on, it's not a matter of adjustment.

Don't confuse folks. It's VMInnovations, of Lincoln NE. It'd be nice if they included a Husqy carb tool. :rolleyes:

I had a 4218 that was quite a workhorse. I ran a 435 for a little while and preferred the poulan's feel and I don't remember it being any better than the poulan. I would buy another 4218 or a 5020 if I needed a cheaper saw before I bought a 435 or even a 455.

Nope not saying its better, I just dont see what would make the 435 any better. A bit nicer maybe? Because it cost more? Naw not really just different plastic setup mostly, not really sure there is much quality difference under the hood.

Honestly it takes a pretty good 40cc saw to run .325 with any gusto. Neither of these two are really up to that task and the 4218 is better off of the two being setup with low pro.

That said, having been the owner of both I would not pay extra for the orange plastic.
I run semi chisel .325 on my 340 e-series from lowes (yeah i know....) and i guess it depends on your definition of "gusto", and im certainly not a pro tree feller, but that saw ($299 retail) has cut a ton of wood. sharp chain can displace displacement.....sort of.....

Latest posts

Back