Quality versus Quantity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not mind feeding the firebox when I am home. Like my sauna for example. One load of oak will last all night. Or two loads of aspen. If I want to bathe in there the next morning I will stuff it full again before bed and it will be well over 100 degrees when I get up at 6:15.

Ash and Black Cherry will be basically all I'll be burning this season, love the stuff! Not the highest BTU, but still quality in my book. I've got a little Black Locust to use for the overnight burns, but otherwise I'd burn ash and cherry almost exclusively if I could. Makes just the right amount of heat for our home layout and I'm already used to the timing intervals of tending the firebox.

Don't see much mulberry around these parts, if any at all. I know you're not far from me, but I almost never see it! Would like to try, have never burned it before. I hear it needs time like oak to dry, but is very dense and makes good smoking wood.
If you would like to try some mulberry I should be getting some shortly. Theres 2 big ones at farmer Steve's house we dropped at the beginning of summer that need to be cut up soon. I could bring you some to try next year.

If you would like to try some mulberry I should be getting some shortly. Theres 2 big ones at farmer Steve's house we dropped at the beginning of summer that need to be cut up soon. I could bring you some to try next year.

That would be awesome, thank you! Let me know when y'all plan to buck it up, I wouldn't mind the least bit to come help provided that I'm healing well from the surgery next month. (As if any of us don't need an excuse to break out the saws for work, ha ha ha) Seems I'll be out of commission for the first 2-4 weeks, doc says with regular PT after about 6 weeks I'll be doing light load bearing and walking without a brace. Minimal load bearing with chainsaw work as it is, particularly with bucking, so I should be ok. Still out working and being active (albeit very carefully and slowly) with this busted ACL, but come post-op it'll be a different story. Prognosis looks good, just a long recovery is all

By mid spring I should be back to 100% in the knee and ready to rock and roll. Can't wait, got a ton of stuff to do around the property and more wood to scrounge.

Back