Quart of Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is a stacked quart of wood sell for in your area???

Mike

Husky 142
Sithl 260 pro
Stihl 310
Stihl 036
Stihl 660 - on its way

you mean cord. two rick, a rick being a stack 8 feet long by four feet high by eighteen to twenty four inches wide. a good split rick is forty bucks stacked here in rural arkansas, so a cord would be eighty bucks.

a gallon of wood here in pa goes for 250 delivered and dumped. price climbes up and up the farther we have to stack it away from where it gets dumped

In my area of Ontario a cord is 4'x8'x16" or around here most know as face cord. One of these face cords go from 55 bucks(early in season) to 70 bucks(late in season). I supply a local restaurant with wood for their wood burning pizza oven and charge them 75 a cord stacked.

U.K price

not that we measure wood by the cord here in europe, but by my reckoning an 8'*4'*4' stack of seasoned oak would set you back about £70-90 or $135-175 in this here kneck of the woods...

you mean cord. two rick, a rick being a stack 8 feet long by four feet high by eighteen to twenty four inches wide. a good split rick is forty bucks stacked here in rural arkansas, so a cord would be eighty bucks.
I've always understood a standard length of firewood to be 16". A rick, or face cord, is 16" wide, 4' high and 8 feet long.

16" x 3 = 4 feet. A full cord, then, is 3 rick.

I wish we would go metric.

ahem...a CORD of wood is 4 feet high x 8 feet long x 4 feet deep.

a stack of wood 4' x 8' x 16" is NOT a full cord.

:angry:

I see that people say they have hardwood for sale. Would this be pretty much anything that is not pine or cederor is it oak, hard maple, hickery. I have been told both. I have mostly sliver maple and not sue how to list it.

Silver maple is not considered to be a hardwood by most. It is fairly soft and doesn't burn the best. The silver doesn't quite have the density of the other maples. Also most people who sell two ricks as a cord are cutting longer pieces of wood such as 18-24 inches so you're getting roughly a cord. Give or take a little. I mean seriously how many people can go out and measure each piece of wood to be exactly 16 inches long.

I see that people say they have hardwood for sale. Would this be pretty much anything that is not pine or cederor is it oak, hard maple, hickery. I have been told both. I have mostly sliver maple and not sue how to list it.

I like Silver Maple. I have burned over 2 cords of it this year so far. It doesn't burn as long as the more dense hardwoods, hickory, oak, etc, but it puts out nice heat and will hold a fire and leave me coals in the morning. It does leave a lot of ashes, but the price is right, $0.00/ cord. Just gas and oil for my saw and truck. If someone had it to give me, I would take it for sure.
Also, when split, it seasons very quickly. About 6 mos in a sunny place.

ahem...a CORD of wood is 4 feet high x 8 feet long x 4 feet deep.

a stack of wood 4' x 8' x 16" is NOT a full cord.

:angry:
4' x 8' x 16" is a FACE cord or 1/3 of a cord, same as a rick, which is how it's generally sold, by the rick. Three times 16" gives you the 48" or 4 feet deep, 3 rick = a full cord, or a gallon of wood as we now jokingly know it.

Trust me, I'm not making this up. This has been discussed a few times over the last few years in previous threads.

If you go to supermarket where they have overly priced bundles of slab wood, they're about 16".
PU Climber said:
I mean seriously how many people can go out and measure each piece of wood to be exactly 16 inches long.
Nobody 'measures' each pice of wood, and you ony need be within about an inch or so and this is really not hard to achieve. Its all about intent. If your bar is 16" long, you cut pieces roughly as long as your bar, how hard is that?

The only time I 'measure' is when the diameters get really big. On fat vertical spars, I have scribed a mark on the 24" and the 36" bars with a plasma torch, down from the tip, 16". It's a ready gauge. Also, I know the Silky Sugoi, from the tip down to the tightening screw where the blade meets the handle is 16". If I have a fat log on the ground, I'll take a minute to walk the length, Sugoi in hand, and give a pull at 16" intervals so I don't have to guess. You don't use a measuring tape, you use the reference of tools an arborist would normally have at hand. The bigger the diameter of the log, the more likely you are to overestimate, so with fat ones, 'measuring' helps keep your consistency of length.

I don't sell firewood. Quite the opposite, actually. I supply commercial firewood guys and pay them 20 bucks a dumpload to take it away. This relationship has gone on for years now. This is a great deal for the treeguy and certainly no complaints from the firewood guys. For smaller loads, I have a short list of folks from the 'free firewood' thread here at arboristsite who've contacted me and of course, the occasional passerby who stops to ask if he can have the wood. If I have real crap, I have one nearby guy who has one of those monster, water-jacketed boiler stoves. He likes his pieces 32" which is sweet; half as much cutting for the treeguy. As a commercial operator, I rarely have to haul away wood. Just cut it into standard lengths, flush-cut off any stubs. I can cut it a lot faster than I can schlepp it. Cutting, I really enjoy. Moving, lifting, transporting, storing, splitting, delivering and stacking is best left to the professionals. I have other trees to climb and the sooner the big wood is gone, the sooner the treeguy can move on to the next.

Having split would with my old boss and not having the property to do it I told my cousin who helps me that I din't want to venture into that aspect of tree care. I just want to get rid of it for now. He convinced his mother to buy a splitter from Cummins tool store here in town. He got a few contracts for filling these baskets @ twenty five dollars a basket. Not a bad price since he just tosses the wood into the basket without stacking it all dress right dress. He does the same as you guys said. 4x4x8 That should theoretically bring in almost two hundred dollars. I don't think he has delivered quite that much to any one person yet and he has yet to figure out how much is going in those baskets. I plan on moving soon and will be getting a wood burner. Then I will join his venture and begin to produce more. I also wanted to say that the splitter that he bought will stand up but it has no safety pin to keep it up ya know what I mean? I'll try to get a picture to post. I was wanting to ask what you guys thought. I will probably post it in the fire wood thread though. I just keep thinking it is a liability to the company that put this machine out. It could potentially slam shut like a clam shell if one was not careful.

Back