queation about file guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandolmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought a Dolmar 341 for cutting fire wood.In the manual for the saw it says the gauge and pitch of the chain is 3/8 .050.I have a Stihl file and guide it says on the guide it is a 3/8 .404.Whats the difference? I am kind of new to the world of chain saws.I have acouple of my farthers old saws but this is the first I bought. Also does anybody make operators manual for Orline saws Thanks Dan

The Guide is indicating that it is for 3/8ths OR .404 PITCH chain (pitch is about the length of the links and is measured as the distance center to center between three rivets and division by 2). The numbers on the saw indicate 3/8ths chain(so your file guide should work) and the GAUGE of the chain is .050 (Gauge is the measurement of the thickness of the drivers from side to side.-Gauge between bar and chain need to match or else the chain either won't fit into the guide rails or it will be too loose and will wobble from side to side excessively.)

Wouldn't it be 3/8" low-profile no that small of a saw? I would think the guide isn't intended for the low profile chain, but for standard 3/8" chain.

Latest posts

Back