question about cleaning a chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big g

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys is it worth it to clean my chimney myself or should i pay the hunrerd dollars for somebody to do it. what tools would i need to do it myself. thanks for any feedback.

just need a brush square or round. depends what shape lining you have. it helps if you 2 man it but its not necessary. my dad usually comes down and we do it in the fall. i wouldnt pay someone a c note to do it but maybe thats just me. it really only takes a few minutes.

thanks for the reply. i burn about four cords a year and about tired of paying people i want to do it myself just not sure yet. thank you for your help long time looker on this site but this is my first question again thanks rancher.

I use to hired a person every year. After watching what they did and the equipment they used I just went out and bought my own. Its simple and I save $125 a year going on 3 years now. I also burn about 4 cords.

where can ibuy the rods and brushes you need i have a steel pipe thats boxed in.thanks for any info and your reply

where can ibuy the rods and brushes you need i have a steel pipe thats boxed in.thanks for any info and your reply

Measure the dimensions of your chimney. For metal chimneys I like poly brushes and clay/masonry I like the steel brushes. Local stove specialty dealer will usually be able to order rods/brushes for you with his cut or you can look it up on line. If you have a masonry chimney don't forget to vacuum out the smoke shelf above the damper when you're done to eliminate the creosote pile/fuel source.

thanks jake for the info i have e few local dealers around that i will check in with thanks again for the help

Big G,
I went through the same thing you are going through. I decided to buy the bush and rods and do it myself. The cost is roughly $100; and you'll save that with one cleaning. My chimney, however, is the chimney from hell. I need to rent an aerial lift to clean it. It's best to clean from the top down, keeping the stove shut and allowing all the crap to fall into it. I figure doing it myself, I won't have to worry about some stranger coming over to case my house.

yea those are great points i like no strangers over either and my chimney is pretty easy to get at and with all this feedback i think im gonna try this myself thanks A.Stanton

Last edited:
ive never used any rods we use a rope on top and a chain on bottom. i know thats how my dads been doing it since way before i was born lol. my chimney dont get real dirty i just gotta remedy my flex pipe problem. ill have to drag the stopvve outta the fireplace soon to see what i can come up with.

I bought my brush and rods at Lowes. It's been a few years ago and I don't remember what they cost but I'm sure the cost of them would be cheaper than one hired chimney cleaning.

I know our local ACE hardware had them in the past. Might check Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. Heck just do a google search and they will probably list hundreds.

you guys from CT must have collective bumps on the head, rent an aerial lift to clean a chimney when a pro will do it for $100

I guess I could use a ladder. But somehow a broken back to me isn't worth saving $175.

guye thanks forallthe replies i went to lowes today and they had everything i i needed illbe doing it myself again thanks for the help again

I guess I could use a ladder. But somehow a broken back to me isn't worth saving $175.
QFT! Especially if your chimney is like mine--a full 35' tall flue on a steep roof covered with cedar shake shingles. Give me a break--not a broken back. :cry:

Also, good sweeps don't just sweep chimeys. They are men trying to help you (1) prevent a chimney fire that can burn your house down and (2) make sure that your wood stove delivers heat to the house when you need it.

Mine is ridiculously easy to access and clean, its on a small flat roof and the top is only 6 feet above the roof, its only about a 14' chimney total and all insulated supervent. It stays pretty clean because I burn hot, I try to clean it twice a season, I dont want to take any chances.

Latest posts

Back