Question about homemade wood bundler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob martell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, just wondering if anyone would know a way to keep the plate from spinning that thday end of the wood would sit in. I’m kind of stumped unless I do it another way or so I even need to worry about it as it kind of floats there

Attachments

• 41B93D6B-8325-4624-A612-677CBBDFFBB8.jpeg
    41B93D6B-8325-4624-A612-677CBBDFFBB8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
That's a goofy setup.

This is how to do it.

Attachments

• 20180709_173440.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
That's a goofy setup.

This is how to do it.
not really sure what I am looking at, how will I run the shaft through the bearings with a sleeve with the rotating arm/counterweight and pulley on it? Is there a special name to that? Im pretty new to this type of stuff

No bearings. Shaft is welded to the frame and that holds the wood tray.

Just a bushing that runs on the shaft that is welded to the pulley and arm

I can wrap about 14 bundles on an hour without any electricity or motorized contraption. Yes, I would like to wrap more than that, but you then have to pay back the cost with sales. My best sales week was 30 bundles, 9 logs to the bundle. Five bundles were stolen that week, one way or the other. My sales revenue covers my cost. That's about it. Selling firewood bundles is not a land office business, but it's amazing how many complaints emerge when you run out of firewood bundles.

We do 35-40 bundles an hr on the machine in the photo. That's 1 person and includes carting them to the porch of the shop and stacking them.
It paid itself off within the first year, have had it 4 years now I think. Sold about 20 cords worth last year... basically lunch money.

Had worked on picking up a contract for about 20,000 bundles a year, would have gotten at least another bundler, maybe 2. In the end didn't pan out, too much headache for not enough pay.

what do you sell
We do 35-40 bundles an hr on the machine in the photo. That's 1 person and includes carting them to the porch of the shop and stacking them.
It paid itself off within the first year, have had it 4 years now I think. Sold about 20 cords worth last year... basically lunch money.

Had worked on picking up a contract for about 20,000 bundles a year, would have gotten at least another bundler, maybe 2. In the end didn't pan out, too much headache for not enough pay.

what do you sell them for? I get $7 for a bundle 12x12x16

$3.75-5 depending on qty bought. 1 cu ft, so about 9"x12"x16"
I run the same price - $4 to $5 depending on quantity bought. My bundles may be a bit larger, 8 to 10 logs per bundle. I tried a higher price for awhile, and sales dropped like a stone. Believe it or not, most buyers prefer a mixture of dry elm, cottonwood, or soft maple for easy lighting and good flames. Ash also works well but makes for a heavier bundle. A few ladies have actually complained about too much weight.

I run the same price - $4 to $5 depending on quantity bought. My bundles may be a bit larger, 8 to 10 logs per bundle. I tried a higher price for awhile, and sales dropped like a stone. Believe it or not, most buyers prefer a mixture of dry elm, cottonwood, or soft maple for easy lighting and good flames. Ash also works well but makes for a heavier bundle. A few ladies have actually complained about too much weight.

Mine are a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of poplar and birch. We really only have 3 woods here, spruce being the other. Spruce I don't like for campfires, it spits and pops a bunch and the embers put holes in chairs, shirts, tents or worse... sets the woods on fire!

I'd say 1 cu ft is about the biggest I'd go in a bundle of that wood and be light enough that most people can easily handle it. It's in the area of 25-30lbs.

Didn't mean to put numbers as a manhood measure contest thing, just gives an idea of what can be done. I know if someone said they could do let's say 50 an hr, I'd be asking questions to try and improve my systems.

Quanities and prices really will depend on the area. I know some folks in other parts of the US are able to get $10-12+ for a bundle and sell the heck out of them. I wouldn't be able to do that, have to stay priced roughly with the competition. Tough to compete against the gas station or grocery store just on the convenience. People get supplies for the camping trip and the wood is just one more thing they can check off at 1 stop.

Mine are a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of poplar and birch. We really only have 3 woods here, spruce being the other. Spruce I don't like for campfires, it spits and pops a bunch and the embers put holes in chairs, shirts, tents or worse... sets the woods on fire!

I'd say 1 cu ft is about the biggest I'd go in a bundle of that wood and be light enough that most people can easily handle it. It's in the area of 25-30lbs.

Didn't mean to put numbers as a manhood measure contest thing, just gives an idea of what can be done. I know if someone said they could do let's say 50 an hr, I'd be asking questions to try and improve my systems.

Quanities and prices really will depend on the area. I know some folks in other parts of the US are able to get $10-12+ for a bundle and sell the heck out of them. I wouldn't be able to do that, have to stay priced roughly with the competition. Tough to compete against the gas station or grocery store just on the convenience. People get supplies for the camping trip and the wood is just one more thing they can check off at 1 stop.

yeah around here the gas stations sell a .75cuft bundle for $8.50+tax LOL so at $7 I make a decent profit and under cut them while offering more wood.

Back