Question about IBEW Tree Trimmers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarygary92

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everybody I was wondering if anybody here has any knowledge of IBEW tree trimmers? An acquaintance of mine who is a lineman and member of the union said they have a great tree trimming apprenticeship program and will train me to climb safely and non invasive to the tree which is what I'm going for. I'm thinking this is a good choice for me to advance my career, but it seems to good to be true, since i'm currently working for a local scumbag under the table who claims he can't afford to train me, my foreman does let me climb occasionally but they don't care about proper pruning practices and just top and lions tail most trees, and the other local residential companies aren't interested in training new employees. I like the idea of doing line clearance and storm work anyway so I feel it would be a win-win situation though he is very pro-union and I've heard bad things about unions in general. But i'm basically just trying to get my foot in the door and find a legitimate training program and a job that provides fair pay and benefits. Has anyone ever been with the IBEW or more specifically the Pittsburgh local 1919? is there more layoffs than working non-union or is line clearance just shaky in general when it comes to job security?

In this area, to work on line clearance you have to a member of the union regardless of who you work for. To become a Certified Utility Arborist, you have to have the company put you through the apprenticeship program. It's not done through the union. It's a matter of putting in your time.

I would suggest you go and talk to the big boys Asplundh, Davey etc in the line clearance biz and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the apprentice ship was through the Ibew union, maybe its different in Canada?

That's why I suggested go and talk to the big boys in your area. They will have all the latest facts. And they are always looking for crew who have some experience. And the big boys are usually willing to train those who show some ambition.

Any tips on how to show the most ambition? sounds stupid but the company I'm with now, its so confusing sometimes, I don't know if it's just my foreman or what but he's so needy, he expects to read his mind and know exactly what he wants. We were re-topping a previously topped pear tree and he expects me to do ground work and assist him with the tree by cutting lower branches with pole saw and power pruners while he does the interior branches but the whole time i'm thinking we shouldn't be topping this tree anyway. so I'd rather drag brush then he comes down and is mad he has to finish the tree he started. He did let me climb and "thin out" a large oak today which was pretty cool so i don't waste my time trying to argue, otherwise he will make me stay on the ground.

Sounds like its time to change scenery (company).

As a foreman, when I ask/tell you to do something, I expect it to be done. I'm not setting up a committee or focus group to make a consensus decision. You don't know what the customer/salesman agreed to and it's not your job to change the job specs because you don't feel the work "should" be done.

If you're given a couple of different tasks and you can't figure out what to prioritize, ask. If you don't ask, don't get your knickers in a knot if you get screamed at.

Take my advice as you see fit. I'm the company's ******* foreman (old and crusty). I'm old school, don't expect me to hold your hand and be sympathetic when it's that time of the month.

Don't get me wrong I dont go around refusing direct orders, but yeah you're right I don't ask enough questions.

Back