Question About My Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted on the site but I have a quick question. I've got a few Swamp White Oaks and 1 White Oak on my property in Western NY. I've noticed over the past few years that the trees have some dead limbs on them, which I have been trimming each year. The trees, other than the dead limbs, seem to be healthy. Is this normal for these types of oaks or should I be concerned?

Jeff

It is quite common for oaks in general to be sporting a few dead branches. It's called "self-pruning". Basically, the tree cuts off the vascular supply to the branches that are not doing as well as the others; generally they are in the lower parts of the tree, deep in the interior, or anywhere the growth is too thick and the sunlight too thin.

This sounds like normal growth, but I wouldn't say that you should discount the possibility of other problems.

It is quite common for oaks in general to be sporting a few dead branches. It's called "self-pruning". Basically, the tree cuts off the vascular supply to the branches that are not doing as well as the others; generally they are in the lower parts of the tree, deep in the interior, or anywhere the growth is too thick and the sunlight too thin.

This sounds like normal growth, but I wouldn't say that you should discount the possibility of other problems.

Word.

Die back in crown = BAD

Dead interior limbs = Pruning time.

It's been a while since I've posted on the site but I have a quick question. I've got a few Swamp White Oaks and 1 White Oak on my property in Western NY. I've noticed over the past few years that the trees have some dead limbs on them, which I have been trimming each year. The trees, other than the dead limbs, seem to be healthy. Is this normal for these types of oaks or should I be concerned?

Jeff

Yukon, thats just nomal for oaks, I deadwood all the time, keeps me busy

Latest posts

Back