question about using used motor oil for chain lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinB1986

Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knows the pros or cons of using used motor oil instead of bar and chain oil? It makes sense to me for two reasons: 1.) It is cheaper than buying bar and chain oil. and 2.) it reuses oil, reduces waste, and is good for the environment.
I know that lots of used motor oil has some gas in it which wouldn't help in the lube department and I do not know what the standard thickness of bar and chain oil is. The used motor oil I use is 15-40, out of my tractor or my friends lobster boat. I wonder if using used motor oil will increase wear on the bar and chain.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this matter? Does anyone else use used motor oil in their saws? Just wondering. Thanks a lot.

Kevinb1986

don't instead of it

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knows the pros or cons of using used motor oil instead of bar and chain oil? It makes sense to me for two reasons: 1.) It is cheaper than buying bar and chain oil. and 2.) it reuses oil, reduces waste, and is good for the environment.
I know that lots of used motor oil has some gas in it which wouldn't help in the lube department and I do not know what the standard thickness of bar and chain oil is. The used motor oil I use is 15-40, out of my tractor or my friends lobster boat. I wonder if using used motor oil will increase wear on the bar and chain.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this matter? Does anyone else use used motor oil in their saws? Just wondering. Thanks a lot.

Kevinb1986
Keep your saw's chain-oiling system filled with clean bar-and-chain oil. Never put used oil, or old motor oil, in your saw or on your chain. Be sure your chain, bar, and sprocket are always receiving oil from the saw during operation.

Welcome to the site...

Do not use used motor oil on your saw...
It is not cutting down on waste, it is polluting the environment...:monkey:

Bar and chain lube is formulated to degrade easier, and is set to cling to the chain rather than being slung off as easily as motor oil...It is also fre of acids and other contaminates found in used motor oil...

Welcome to the site...

Do not use used motor oil on your saw...
It is not cutting down on waste, it is polluting the environment...:monkey:

Bar and chain lube is formulated to degrade easier, and is set to cling to the chain rather than being slung off as easily as motor oil...It is also fre of acids and other contaminates found in used motor oil...
correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! The cost of real bar oil is minimal in relaltion to all the other costs of running saws.

Still scratchign head over how using used oil is good for the environment.

Harry K

not only pollute the environment but also badly worn of the chain and bar

Yep! The cost of real bar oil is minimal in relaltion to all the other costs of running saws.

Still scratchign head over how using used oil is good for the environment.

Harry K

Cause it's better than dumping down the storm drain?

Cause it's better than dumping down the storm drain?

True words.

Depends on where you are but a lot of landfills take waste oil for recycling. Even there's no place to recycle, I doubt putting it through your saws is a good idea... it's better than nothing but if you use those saws to make your living, is it worth the risk?

Check the Veggie Oil Thread.

I can't beleive there has never been a thread about using used motor oil as bar lube!:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

True words.

Depends on where you are but a lot of landfills take waste oil for recycling. Even there's no place to recycle, I doubt putting it through your saws is a good idea... it's better than nothing but if you use those saws to make your living, is it worth the risk?

Auto Zone and Advanced Auto both take used oil. Many automotive shops will also let you dump oil in their recycle tank.

thankyou all for your responses on the matter. Originally, I didnt explain very well what I meant when I said it was "better for the environment." What I had been thinking was that for every gallon of used oil you used it would mean one less gallon of new oil would have to be produced/used. My logic was using less oil was better for the environment.

Obviously there are many reasons not to use used motor oil
1.) Inferior lubricant
2.) Carcinogen (might have spelled it wrong)
3.) Extremely messy
4.) Pollutes the soil.

And my initial logic was flawed, using used motor oil is worse for the environment and in the long run will prolly cost more than using bar and chain lube because you'll wear your gear out quicker. Thanks again. Hope I dont sound like a jackass for asking this question cuz I sure feel like one. But where I come from theres no such thing as a stupid question

kevinb1986

Ask away fella...that's what this site is for!

One last note on used motor oil, you end up breathing it as well, not all those minute droplets are just going out into the soil, trees, they are also going in the air and you eat, wear it, and breathe it!!! Yuk, yuk, yuk!!!!:eek:

Kevin;
It goes back through the same cracker that does crude! The used oil tag is a BS. There is chemically no difference in cracked crude or used motor oil. It is NOT filtered, it is redistilled, all polutants and impurities are boiled off or become part of some other petrolium product!!!

Kevin;
It goes back through the same cracker that does crude! The used oil tag is a BS. There is chemically no difference in cracked crude or used motor oil. It is NOT filtered, it is redistilled, all polutants and impurities are boiled off or become part of some other petrolium product!!!

Lou, I hope you are not suggesting that using used motor oil in your chainsaw is a good idea.

After it is "redistilled".....fine.

Right out of the motor.........not in my saws.

As has been stated, used motor oil is dirty. It has dirt, sludge, and possibly metal particles. If it doesn't clog up your oil pump, you would be intentially pumping abrasives through your bar/chain.

how about vegi oils

If you are looking at the environment and looking at bar oil alternatives, do a search of vegetable oils. They have been reviewed over and over on this site. good and bad.

Farmer Ferd

Latest posts

Back