Question about Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there anything different about dealing with walnut. I only ask because my uncle had about 40 acres of his land logged about 6-7 years ago. The logger wouldn't even consider taking any walnut. He said it had to be handled completely seperately and just flat said No to it. Now, my uncle has given me permission to go in and take 1 or 2 and see how it goes. Most are 20-24" diameter. Any suggestions? I'm still waiting for my Granberg to come in the mail. Its been about a week now. Getting a little impatient.
Brian

00juice said:
Is there anything different about dealing with walnut... Most are 20-24" diameter. Brian

Let me get this strait... a logger had access to acres of 24 inch walnut trees but refused to cut any? I wonder if he was allergic to walnut wood dust/leaves and just didn't want to say so. Some people are. I've milled and dried walnut with no problems and I've not heard of any special problems with walnut other than minor idiosyncrasies that every species has one or two of.

I thought it was a sort of an odd situation. Its not that there were acres completely covered by walnut, but they are scattered through the property that was already being timbered for other species. Good for me!!!!!

Sounds to me, that the mill the logger usually deals with didn't take walnut and probably didn't see economic sense in trucking it somewhere that did. unfortunately, in tight wood markets, most loggers decisions are made by financial and legal mandates.

00juice said:
I thought it was a sort of an odd situation. Its not that there were acres completely covered by walnut, but they are scattered through the property that was already being timbered for other species. Good for me!!!!!

I'd consider doing an improvement cutting if you have lots of walnuts--leave the trees with straightest, clearest boles. It would be a mistake to simply do a diameter limit cut (everything cut that the mill will take). Some of the best trees will put on more value over the next 20 years than the money you make now, if you invest it conservatively (that's the theory, anyhow). Of course, you could take your money and waste on some boondoggle it as well! See the thread for the 1850 saw mill--only $8500! (You take it apart and truck it away).

Back