Question for tree co. owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HS Climber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would do it.
Put adds for clean up after logging or storm damage. there is a lot of companies that do that here in the PNW

If you do good, safe work and carry insurance I could see it possible for someone using you. It would have to be small guy who doesnt want to bother with the wood. My suggestion to them would be that in a situation were the homeowner doesnt want to pay a ton of money, the tree Co. could give them your card and tell them well this guy will do the clean up for less and Ill only charge you $x for the take down. But the key for me would be HO would have to hire you himself and the Tree Co would have to have trust in your work and service offered I wouldnt refer anyone I didnt trust.

Of course thats in a perfect world. In the less perfect world were in right now, everyone is fighting for every penny they can earn so it may be a little harder.

As mentioned above, having the proper insurance would not only help you get customers, but may save you someday if something goes wrong. As far as if there is a market? Depending on your cost and area, I would think it's possible. I don't know about full time, but maybe part-time work. There are a few stump grinder guys around Kansas City that only do stump grinding and nothing else. Granted those guys normally have larger stump grinders that a local tree company may not have so that's why they get hired, but I've worked for a guy that despite having a couple good stump grinders, he prefered to outsource that work. In the past when I used to do a lot of side jobs on the weekends, I would pass up jobs because I knew I wouldn't have the time or the energy to do both the take down and clean up. I can see getting some work out of small outfits or tree guys that do side jobs on the weekends, but I don't know about getting much work full time from a large tree company. Eitherway, good luck.

I personally would be interested in something like that....under two conditions. The wood must be taken car of in a timely manner, and rake up when your done. When i do trees that aren't huge and would be good firewood, i'll call a few people i know that burn/sell wood and there more than happy to come and get it. I'll explain to the HO that the wood may sit for a week, but it will save them a few hundred bucks. If they want it hauled away that day, it will be $$$ more. I offer it to the HO as an option. I have yet to have a HO say no and most often get a tip for saving them money.

there is a guy in a town just south of here who offers a similar service and at least one tree service employees his services. however he cant be insured as he takes on large cleanups for 200to 300 dollars how ever that tree service swears by him. how ever i never trust a job to cheep and may entertain the idea if i had a huge backlog of work but only to some one i trusted and who i payed well after all that is all that would keep them honest. out side of integrity.

With the way the economy is, I find myself and see others doing a lot more "put it on the ground" jobs. Eventually somebody will have to clean up these messes... now I am not sure if that's the type of nightmare you are talking about, but I am sure you could make some money in it if properly marketed, and more importantly, properly equipped. As far as going in and getting the wood goes, I try my very best to not get involved with hauling wood away... so perhaps you could get in with a couple of smaller tree co's that feel the same way...

Back