Question on a man purse :) while working on the rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought just the right amount of germs mixed in the food was the ticket to being strong as a bull and healthy as a horse. Huh, I guess I will start wiping off my spoons and forks that live on the dash board before I use them.

You keep your eating tools on the dashboard? Darn it Ted, I've told you before...the spoon and fork go in the little door pockets...that way the accumulated dust and grit polishes them clean while you're driving. Snoose cans, maps, a copy of the sale contract, small spare parts, extra socks, broken bootlaces, the old caulks you changed out last week but decided to save, matches and smokes go on the dashboard. And nothing goes in the glove box 'cause the latch has been jammed since the second day out and you can't open it. Darn kids. :)

Last edited:
Only one cupholder is for a cup. The others are for stuff. Like the used spikes from boots. Those get thrown in a cupholder. So do spare spikes. Ashtrays work for that too, if one is a non-smoker. Extra nozzles for aerosol paint get thrown in those places. It is more of a "might come in handy some day" holder.

You keep your eating tools on the dashboard? Darn it Ted, I've told you before...the spoon and fork go in the little door pockets...that way the accumulated dust and grit polishes them clean while you're driving. Snoose cans, maps, a copy of the sale contract, small spare parts, extra socks, broken bootlaces, the old caulks you changed out last week but decided to save, matches and smokes go on the dashboard. And nothing goes in the glove box 'cause the latch has been jammed since the second day out and you can't open it. Darn kids. :)

Dang Southerners! Nothing small enough to fall down the vents goes on the dash here in the great frozen (some days) North, lest it fall in and make the little critters that live in there making heat stop working. That stuff goes in the center tray thingie on the floor next to the four by four lever. Not sure what future generations will do with these new trucks that ain't got four by four levers on the floor?:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
My truck doesnt have a cup holder. The radio stopped working years ago, but the trucks 34 years old so you cant blame it. One day driving along one of the groundies got all excited about fixing the radio and ripped it out of the dash. He did end up getting it working (aerial had fallen out the back) but couldnt manage to get it back in the dash no matter how hard he kicked. For the last 6 months or so its sat about 4 inches proud of the dash. Makes a great cup holder :)

You'd think being just a flat surface that the cups would roll off, but for no reason I can understand they stay put over some pretty rough terrain. We take bets some mornings on when the coffee will spill but it really does seem to stay put.

attachment.php

Thats funny, I just put new nails in last week, the old are sitting in a rolled up fast food cup in my car.

since we're this far off topic....

I've been down in the garage working on my bike all day and I lost the top cap off the forks while changing the seals and oil. This has turned into a catestrophoic situation. It took me about an hour to strip out the forks, clean them, change the seals, refill to appropriate level and reinstall. And 6 hours to look for the missing top cap. I've pretty much demolished the entire garage. I'm going to call in an excavator and a secondary crusher with a vibrating screen to sort through the rubble tomorrow. Where do things go to?

No ride for me tomorrow.

Shaun

Where do things go? That's a good question. I have a small shop and it's really pretty orderly. But if I lay something down, like the one nut, bolt, or washer absolutely essential to reassemble whatever it is I'm working on, and go off on some other task for awhile, it goes away.

I don't know where "away" is but I think it's a long ways 'cause I'll tear the shop up trying to find it...and never do. Until later, that is, when I've put the project aside and started on something else. Then it magically appears, usually in plain sight where I should have seen it. Either that or in some odd ball place that it never should have been at all.

If I want to find the missing part right away all I have to do is drive clear into town and buy another one. When I get back I'll find it immediately.

And, getting back on topic...our OP should have his first week in the rigging done by now. Wonder how he made out? He might be cussing us all for encouraging him to go logging.

Last edited:
And, getting back on topic...our OP should have his first week in the rigging done by now. Wonder how he made out? He might be cussing us all for encouraging him to go logging.

He hasn't been back since the 2nd. :msp_ohmy:

Ok ok yea I have been reading just havent been signed in lol my computer took a crap on me and I tried to be a computer mechanic and tore it into pieces and replaced the fan and cpu lol I only had two screws left over when I put it back together and its runnin like a top:clap: so I considered it a success as computer work is 65 bucks an hr.

Yes I spent my first week on the rigging and I must say it is hard work but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!! Something about good hard work and when the end of the day comes you feel like you really accomplished something! It is really a blast running up down and across them there hills getting stabbed, tripped, gouged and laughed at lol. In my first week I have been told I am doing better than any green horn this crew has ever trained so that is a good feeling!! The Yarder engineer was yelling at the end of the first day " You guys need to get to work that greenhorn is kicking your asxes lol My 3rd day they gave me a quik rundown on how to fall a tree and some of the things to look out for and I have already fell 20 trees in my first week under close supervision:msp_rolleyes: and cut multiple stumps out of the way.

I got pretty lucky and the side they put me on was only working ten minutes from my house LOL and I work in the brush with two guys that were in my class in high school.

My first morning waiting for the crummy in the dark at the begginging of the logging road I was 20 minutes early and had my nose bag and water out by the side of the truck lacing up my new boots and I saw a truck coming down the highway with its blinker on, it was a crummy! I knew this was it so with my boots half laced I grab my lunch box and water and prepare to board.
The crummy turns onto the road at a slow roll and slowly drives by me, I thought to myself this must be what they do to the new guy(hazing) so I take off running down the road after the truck and throw my nosebag and water in the back and bail over the tailgat into the back of the crummy.
The crummy comes to a stop so I think, OOOO they are gonna let me ride up front so I jump out of the back and walk toward the front window where I see a truck full of Mexicans and the one in the passenger seat says "Who you working with?" I tell him the name of the hooktender and he says " This is the wrong truck gringo as all the other guys in the truck begin to laugh histerically I join them as I grab my stuff out of the back and walk back to my truck to wait for the RIGHT crummy and crew lol

Moral of the story if your green and eager to work dont jump in the first crummy that comes down the logging road lol there is more than one crew logging in them there woods lol!!!!!

I had a good story to tell the guys when they got there to pick me up so lol

Anyway I really cant wait for monday!!and to get back out there and get some logs up to the landing. I will say one thing I am looking forward to is getting in shape, I have been a stay at home dad for the last 2 years so I did allot of diaper changing and chasing a crawling baby around so aside from hunting season I didnt get much cardio. I notice the guys that have been out there work hard and dont even show a sign of sweating when I am drenched from my ankles to my head in sweat lol I am going to keep up the hard work and stick with this and some day hopefully become a hook tender, that is my long term goal.

Thanks for all the tips and info you all gave me on the first thread I started, I have followed all of them to a T and its working great!!

SLOWP I took your advice and brought some cented Skin So Soft and when all the guys in the brush with me were wining about the noseeums I gave that to them and told them it works great! They all proceeded to put it on LOL I laughed my butt off they all smelled like girls lol Thanks again guys and girls!!!

Ok ok yea I have been reading just havent been signed in lol my computer took a crap on me and I tried to be a computer mechanic and tore it into pieces and replaced the fan and cpu lol I only had two screws left over when I put it back together and its runnin like a top:clap: so I considered it a success as computer work is 65 bucks an hr.

Yes I spent my first week on the rigging and I must say it is hard work but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!! Something about good hard work and when the end of the day comes you feel like you really accomplished something! It is really a blast running up down and across them there hills getting stabbed, tripped, gouged and laughed at lol. In my first week I have been told I am doing better than any green horn this crew has ever trained so that is a good feeling!! The Yarder engineer was yelling at the end of the first day " You guys need to get to work that greenhorn is kicking your asxes lol My 3rd day they gave me a quik rundown on how to fall a tree and some of the things to look out for and I have already fell 20 trees in my first week under close supervision:msp_rolleyes: and cut multiple stumps out of the way.

I got pretty lucky and the side they put me on was only working ten minutes from my house LOL and I work in the brush with two guys that were in my class in high school.

My first morning waiting for the crummy in the dark at the begginging of the logging road I was 20 minutes early and had my nose bag and water out by the side of the truck lacing up my new boots and I saw a truck coming down the highway with its blinker on, it was a crummy! I knew this was it so with my boots half laced I grab my lunch box and water and prepare to board.
The crummy turns onto the road at a slow roll and slowly drives by me, I thought to myself this must be what they do to the new guy(hazing) so I take off running down the road after the truck and throw my nosebag and water in the back and bail over the tailgat into the back of the crummy.
The crummy comes to a stop so I think, OOOO they are gonna let me ride up front so I jump out of the back and walk toward the front window where I see a truck full of Mexicans and the one in the passenger seat says "Who you working with?" I tell him the name of the hooktender and he says " This is the wrong truck gringo as all the other guys in the truck begin to laugh histerically I join them as I grab my stuff out of the back and walk back to my truck to wait for the RIGHT crummy and crew lol

Moral of the story if your green and eager to work dont jump in the first crummy that comes down the logging road lol there is more than one crew logging in them there woods lol!!!!!

I had a good story to tell the guys when they got there to pick me up so lol

Anyway I really cant wait for monday!!and to get back out there and get some logs up to the landing. I will say one thing I am looking forward to is getting in shape, I have been a stay at home dad for the last 2 years so I did allot of diaper changing and chasing a crawling baby around so aside from hunting season I didnt get much cardio. I notice the guys that have been out there work hard and dont even show a sign of sweating when I am drenched from my ankles to my head in sweat lol I am going to keep up the hard work and stick with this and some day hopefully become a hook tender, that is my long term goal.

Thanks for all the tips and info you all gave me on the first thread I started, I have followed all of them to a T and its working great!!

SLOWP I took your advice and brought some cented Skin So Soft and when all the guys in the brush with me were wining about the noseeums I gave that to them and told them it works great! They all proceeded to put it on LOL I laughed my butt off they all smelled like girls lol Thanks again guys and girls!!!

Good on ya. Hang in there.

Skin So Soft is interstately used now. And don't they smell good??

Glad you like it. I "helped" one morning when a crew was extremely short handed and setting chokers sure limbers up a body. Kind of like Yoga in the Woods. The look on the fallers faces when I came up onto the road was priceless. I'd gotten my shirt all greasy. They were driving by on their way home. They stopped and had to ask what the heck had I been doing.

Another time when I couldn't stand it and started helping hold parts on a log truck when the guy didn't have enough hands, I got pretty dirty. He and his son started trying to brush all the mud off me because they didn't want me to get in trouble.

Congratulations! Now get ready for next week.

Tillamook. do you mind posting the outfit your working for? i know some folks over there. lived there a couple years. and good on ya for coming threw your first week with a good attitude.

Slowp Are you seriously telling me it works?????? SERIOUSLY?? Come to think about it I was laughing so much about them wearing it I never noticed if it worked lol

PACCITY Does your user name stand for Pacific city? :) And the company im working for is (Fallon logging) its a pretty big outfit I believe they have like 10 yarders and 12 sides but dont hold me to that I could be wrong thats just what I heard, not sure how that works.:msp_smile:

One thing I really like about this line of work is I dont have to deal with customer service and you cant beat being out in nature while working, I can see right now work this summer is gonna be rough with the heat, I can deal with the cold rain and wind but the heat I just cant get used to especially when your running for your life all day lol. Its not even hot right now and im drinking a gallon of water and gatorade mixed in a eight hr shift and I only took one pee last week while at work :blob2:

Almost time to hit the hay for a fun filled day tomorrow!!!CANT WAIT!!

As far as I can tell, it works only to make people smell better. I have sprayed and sprayed it and the flies, mosquitoes and no seeums seem to be immune to Skin So Soft.

When it gets hot, maybe they'll send down water on the rigging? The outfits up here sometimes, because they usually get shut down if we have much hot weather (and I hope you are putting a bit of savings aside for this) shut down early if it is unbearably hot. One day, when I got sick from being out in the heat, they couldn't yard but were packing rigging up the hill. That kept the crew paid, and they were ready to go when the fire danger went down. They were downhill yarding on that unit. I had to go approve and paint tail trees and twister trees.

Do you live close enough to the ocean to be in the fog in the summer? I love that natural air conditioning. You come down from where it is hot and in the 80s, to the nice cool fog belt. Sleep can be had. That's a good thing.

I've just read this whole thing. You're killing me. I'm visualizing a guy standing in the woods next to his "owl" lunch box and eating dirt after he loaded his pants.

Skin so soft does repel insects. Some thin it down with rubbing alcohol. It's not as sticky then. When somebody walks by and asks what that smell is just tell them a coyote pooped under that pine tree over there.

Slowp Are you seriously telling me it works?????? SERIOUSLY?? Come to think about it I was laughing so much about them wearing it I never noticed if it worked lol

PACCITY Does your user name stand for Pacific city? :) And the company im working for is (Fallon logging) its a pretty big outfit I believe they have like 10 yarders and 12 sides but dont hold me to that I could be wrong thats just what I heard, not sure how that works.:msp_smile:

One thing I really like about this line of work is I dont have to deal with customer service and you cant beat being out in nature while working, I can see right now work this summer is gonna be rough with the heat, I can deal with the cold rain and wind but the heat I just cant get used to especially when your running for your life all day lol. Its not even hot right now and im drinking a gallon of water and gatorade mixed in a eight hr shift and I only took one pee last week while at work :blob2:

Almost time to hit the hay for a fun filled day tomorrow!!!CANT WAIT!!
that be ken fallon. there out of the old crown z shops. big out fit. pacific city dory fishing is a hoot.

Latest posts

Back