Question on Buying logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a land clearing company to buy logs from. They specialize in clearing 1 or 2 acre lots for office buildings and such. They're different from a logging outfit in that they cut everything down and then deal with the product later. The good logs go to a mill, the not-so-good logs go for firewood. Tree services are okay, sometimes, for logs, but lots of time the wood is diseased or has metal in it.

I used to drive by the yard of the land clearing company. When their log pile was huge, I'd pull in and ask what they wanted for a load of ONLY hardwoods. The guy said $400. I said fine. I drew them a map to my house, making note of a low bridge that they would have to avoid, and then two weeks later, they showed up. I was at work, but my wife said the truck was so full it was scary. They put some deep ruts in my yard, but I got some serious cordage for that 400; at least 8 cords. The loader operator was super careful in stacking the logs, so my wife gave him $50 on the side for his extra effort. She said he'd spend five minutes moving a log around to get it to sit on the stack just right.

I get logs from a tree service. Yes diseased trees and metal are all part of the package. The majority of the load is usually oak or locust. The least desireable wood that he ever gives me is red maple. I have never been given sycamore, pine or white birch.

Up until last year the wood was delivered free. He even called me when he had a job near my house. That all changed when the economy went south. Now he is charging for loads and and not chipping everthing that fits in his chipper. He said that last year he had more people calling him for logs than bids.

What to pay and what the load is worth all depend on local conditions. If there is a pulp mill or wood chip burning place nearby then the price will be at least what they can get there. Big firewood processors also tend to pay the hardwood pulp rate. Distance also comes into play. The further the drive, the more they need to charge for time and fuel. The type of wood matters too. A load of oak and locust is worth a lot more than red maple and sycamore. If you don't what you are getting up front beware.

I didn't decide how much to offer. I just paid him what he asks. He said that lately he has been driving it 80 miles round trip and gets $650 from a firewood processor. For me it will be $400. True or not I dont know.

I talked to a guy on Friday about a tri axle load of hard wood and he told me that the going rate is $20.00 a ton. So a tri axle load would run around $400-$600. $600 seems high to me but I guess it depneds on the total weight of the logs and distance to deliver them. Eight cords would be well worth the money IMO.

Firewood prices in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan are driven by the paper companies. The loggers are getting about $100.00 dollars a cord from the paper mills i guess, so IF you can find someone to deliver a load to your place you can count on paying about that much. On the good side, they deliver a high quality product: Hard rock Maple, or Oak, and sometimes a bit of yellow birch,,,,,all good firewood.

We got a load of Maple mixed with a little yellow birch early this summer, and it came from a logger in our town who cuts his own wood from his own acreage. I would sooner pay a local guy a fair price for really good firewood, than pay the gas company. My money gets used by local people and I feel very good about it.

Besides that I need the workout of fooling with wood,,,,,,and tha ARABS don't get my money!!!!!!! HaH!

I bought a tri axle load this year for $700 of 90% red oak that gypsy moth dead cut. I helped my uncle cut up two loads that he payed $500 a piece for but had probably 30-40% pine and the rest oak.

Guys who sell grapple loads around these parts do not negotiate much if any on price. For 12-14 cord loads the price range is usually within $200 per load among different loggers. I stick with the guys who consistantly throw on a good load of quality wood and don"t try and sneak in crooked punky logs. Be clear on what you are willing to accept. (species, diameter)

Back