Question on Jonsered 2186 purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Y.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am thinking I need a big saw. OK, I don't REALLY need one, I REALLY want one. I have been keeping my eye open for a used Jonsered(OK, I like J-reds), but they don't seem to show up too often on CL, and when they do they sell fast. I found this company ( http://stores.ebay.com/Paul-B-Moyer-and-Sons-Inc ) selling new 2186's and had a couple questions. 1) Is $770 agood price for a new one? 2) Does anyone have one and do they like it? 3) I assume this is the same as one of the Huskies. Which one? 4) Has anyone dealt with this company before and are they honest? 5) Is there one of the sponsors on this board I should be looking at instead of these guys? Thanks, Dave

I am thinking I need a big saw. OK, I don't REALLY need one, I REALLY want one. I have been keeping my eye open for a used Jonsered(OK, I like J-reds), but they don't seem to show up too often on CL, and when they do they sell fast. I found this company ( http://stores.ebay.com/Paul-B-Moyer-and-Sons-Inc ) selling new 2186's and had a couple questions. 1) Is $770 agood price for a new one? 2) Does anyone have one and do they like it? 3) I assume this is the same as one of the Huskies. Which one? 4) Has anyone dealt with this company before and are they honest? 5) Is there one of the sponsors on this board I should be looking at instead of these guys? Thanks, Dave

It is mostly the same as the 385xp - there is no red version of the improved 390xp so far........:censored:

Last edited:
5) Is there one of the sponsors on this board I should be looking at instead of these guys? Thanks, Dave

I've never run one of the 2186s, so can't answer any of your other questions, but there's a sponsor here, spike60, who sells them as well.

You know, that sounds like a pretty good price. But I'd also consider the Dolmar 7900. On paper, it's lighter and maybe a tad more powerful and it can probably be had for less money. But then, you just can't dispute that the Jonsey's are the coolest looking saws on the planet.

Seems a good price. But if you needed warranty work you'd need to ship it back or find a dealer willing to work on it. The J-red dealer in my area will not do warranty work on saws bought over the internet.

Last edited:
Seems a good price. But if you needed warranty work you'd need to ship it back or find a dealer willing to work on it. The J-red dealer in my area will not do warranty work on saws bought over the internet.

Good point. Jonsered's distributor, Tilton Equipment Co., has their internet policy posted on their site.

Dave......Like you, I like the J-Reds also. As SawTroll mentioned, the 2186 is pretty much a 385xp in Red and Black guise. Not too long ago I picked up a 2186WH at Spike's shop. Only has about 4 tanks through it as this will be my primary saw for bucking next years firewood over the coming winter months. So far, I can report the following:

Husky/Jred -Air Injection/Turbo: It works. This is probably a topic for another thread, but owning a 390xpg also and comparing both starter covers side by side, I could swear that the Jred setup (louvres) has more surface area to allow for air ingestion. Would love to hear others' comments concerning this.

While not broken in yet, the 2186 has plenty of power (currently fitted with a 30" Total bar).

IMO, what really sets the 385xp/2186 apart from other saws in this class are the details. Consider the following:

According to the IPL, there are four different filters (depending on model) you can outfit this saw with. Personally, I have come to like the 44 micron (yellow) filter. VERY easy to clean. Try them and see which one works best for your application.

I have come to appreciate those rubber inserts on the rear handle. Small detail, but nonetheless it's there.

Carb is a Tilly HS296A and the carb area layout is deep, simple, and spacious.

Though I have not tried them, the IPL has a listing for optional FIRM AV springs. The stock ones feel fine and certainly don't have a "spongy" feeling, but I'd like to give the firm one's a try and see how it affects vibration isolation.

All in all, the 2186 is more than a capable performer. try one at your local dealer or GTG. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Almost forgot.......It certainly is one of the coolest looking saws on the planet.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now.....the 390XP. Thats a different story. Look for an in-depth review shortly.

internet jreds

I've bought a couple of new jonsered saws over the net. A 2165, and 2186. I have broken and replaced a few parts. No problem. Not warranty issues though. The 2186 is my stump saw. Usually has a 42" bar, no problem, I really haven't run it that much, just on 3' or larger stumps, maybe have cut 20 or so off. And some firewood just for fun. Great saw I highly recommend it!

I bought one of those 2186's from the same auction mentioned above. With 25% cashback from Microsoft Live, it comes out to around $550. Now that's a deal!

It is an awesome saw if you don't mind a little heft. If a 372XP is "angry at the wood", the 2186 is one downright pissed-off MOFO. :chainsaw:

JRED 2186 "vintage"

I called the dealer DougNH referred to and found that his supply of 2186's are 2005 vintage. I have seen in the threads some comments about bearing issues for both the 2186 and the 385. As a prospective buyer, were there still bearing issues in the 2005 models...or was it resolved?

I am new to AS and just wanted to say "howdy" from the Big Thicket in East Texas.

:)

I called the dealer DougNH referred to and found that his supply of 2186's are 2005 vintage. I have seen in the threads some comments about bearing issues for both the 2186 and the 385. As a prospective buyer, were there still bearing issues in the 2005 models...or was it resolved?

I am new to AS and just wanted to say "howdy" from the Big Thicket in East Texas.

:)

A return howdy from Houston, & welcome aboard! Just curious, when did Spring move to the Big Thicket? It was still up near The Woodlands last weekend :laugh:. I think that it'd be great to have Elysian Fields as a mailing address.

Big Thicket - the area not the "preserve"

ChrisJ, well said and you are right that Montgomery County (where I live) is not part of the Big Thicket Preserve but (for others that may not know) is the southern end of a large forested region in southeast Texas and western Louisiana generally known as the Big Thicket area. Good to know another Texan (native or transplant) on AS.

Latest posts

Back