question on saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading on firewood, cutting and such. The opinions on saw are really as the different as my daddy can whip your daddy stuff. Is the difference in Husky and Stihl really that different of do two different saws get compared? It's just hard for me to believe two saws of the same cc can be that much different. Are they?

Which is the Chevy and which is the Ford? As far as saws go, I've run both but not enough of the one brand vs the other to consider that I have a valid opinion. I like what I've got but that might be relative. I think the pro's on here would have the more valid opinions as many have run both brands (or with some of them maybe not) many of them do it for a living. When my children were growing up, times were tougher for us economically when they were young. My children thought venison was steak. Cause thats what we called it. They just did not know what real beef steak tasted like. As they got older and we were better off, we started buying the real deal, It was a whole new world for them after that. They still like venison, but a good beef steak stole the show. If you've never run the other brand you don't know if your missing out or not. At least thats my perspective on it. Of course as I muse some more, a good piece of tenderloin venison can outshine a poor cut of beefsteak, so within each brand of saws they have their not so good models and then they have their best models I would think. You have to compare apples to apples IMO. I thought the Toyota Camry was the smoothest, most dependable vehicle I had ever driven, till I ran a Lexus. To compare the entire line of one brand vs the other you might have to run them all and then give your opinion. Most of us do not have that opportunity. Since both brands seem to sell a lot of saws, they both must be pretty good or maybe there are a just a lot of stubborn, biased people out there. These days I have venison and beef in the freezer, I enjoy them both, ones not better to me than the other, just different.

unless , you are planning to do your own maintenance, I would buy the dealer before the saw. I other words, find a dealer you like, and buy whatever is suitable from him.

Dan

Greyfox is probably on to something...
"Pro" and "Consumer" models are in the equation some where.
Dealership and customer support certainly make a difference for a lot of folks.

Great point! For example, I'm sure Dolmars have some very nice saws in their lineup. However, I've never even seen one, and don't have a dealer within a hours drive of home, to my knowledge.

Personally I'm not branded and own saws from different brands. I would tell someone interested in getting a first saw that a used pro grade saw (in good working order) for similar money to a new consumer grade saw is probably a wise call. That is if the are going to run it for any significant amount of time. By that I mean you are not just cutting trees that block your driveway. You would plan to have days cutting firewood when you will cut multiple tanks of fuel. Your hands will thank you for the anti vibe characteristics. Your back will thank you for the weight you will save to get similar power. And you will have more resale value should you ever need to flip it on craigslist.

The Ford, Chevy, Dodge type thing sure is fun though. Comments like, "wouldn't you rather have a Sweedish model than a German workhorse" , or "Psssst, noticed that those Huskys sure do have small nuts" are mostly for grins. At least for most of us.

I own both huskys and stihl fords and chevys. Do your reaserch on the size saw you want both have models that are better depending on size. Dont care what anyone says the both make turds.

Much to what Dusty said, I've only had the Stihl. Well I did have a tiny Poulan once but that was a one handed saw. I've had 3 -044 AV's, my present 034 AV and the new MS 250. But that's all I've known. I've never owned a Husky. I just don't have the money to buy one to see what I think. These Stihls have been good by me but I was wondering if these Husky owners that brag so much had found something I was missing out on. But if it's just a Ford, Chevy, Dodge things, I'll just stick with my Rams. :msp_biggrin:

I had the biggest turd of a ram ever will never buy another! 04 2500 with a hemi 4x4 quad cab auto. Bought it with 15000 dodge put 20g in warrenty work sold with 55000 3ys later.

I can believe that. I personally will never by any truck over the 1500 with a gas engine. My 94 1500 has 356,000 on a 360 and it's still my everyday truck. My 3500 Cummins is 365,000 and still pulling things around. I've had great luck. Like was said, it's a Ford, Cheby, Dodge thing.

I had a 79 Ford 350 with 56,000 and every time I stopped, there were so many drops of oil left it look like the truck was crying. So I bought a 1980 Ferd. It wouldn't pull my cap off my head. The first year they built the pickup bed on a 1 ton. The best thing I did with that truck was wreck it. Lucky for me it was totaled. Back then diesels didn't have turbo's and were just dogs. Chev didn't even have one. Well maybe that converted piece of crap. When the Cummins went in the Dodge, that was it for me.

I can believe that. I personally will never by any truck over the 1500 with a gas engine. My 94 1500 has 356,000 on a 360 and it's still my everyday truck. My 3500 Cummins is 365,000 and still pulling things around. I've had great luck. Like was said, it's a Ford, Cheby, Dodge thing.

I had a 79 Ford 350 with 56,000 and every time I stopped, there were so many drops of oil left it look like the truck was crying. So I bought a 1980 Ferd. It wouldn't pull my cap off my head. The first year they built the pickup bed on a 1 ton. The best thing I did with that truck was wreck it. Lucky for me it was totaled. Back then diesels didn't have turbo's and were just dogs. Chev didn't even have one. Well maybe that converted piece of crap. When the Cummins went in the Dodge, that was it for me.

Theres a ton of 6.2 and 6.5 liter purpose built detroit diesel chevy/gmcs out there. Those arent converted gassers.

Saws are pretty much commodity items now, just like pickup trucks. They've all been copying each other for so long now the differences have become minor. There are a couple of types of basic construction - split (metal) cases with bolt on cylinders and cradle-type cases (usually plastic) with "clamsell" engines (these are self contained engines with an upper and lower housing).

There are two new technologies that have come in recently, strato engines and electronically controlled feedback carbs. The strato engines are available across the range but the feedback carbs are only on upper end saws so far. Without strato manufacturers sell old style designs with limiter caps on the carb adjusters and stick a choked catalytic converter muffler on.

There are a host of other features that most have in varying combinations - inboard or outboard clutches, different types of A/V systems, etc. Most all work, it's just what suits your taste.

I have one of each. My stihl is the larger saw I use to for primary cutting. And the husky I use for limbing and wood up to about 6-8". They both have treated me well. Both brands are on the top of the list for quality and durability. But a saw is only as good as the chains is sharp. If your planning on using your saw for many years. Spend a little extra and go with a pro saw. And in 5 years down the road you wont question yourself whether or not you should upgrade. My 044 turned 20 yrs old this year. I can still remember the day I bought it, time flies.

Yes I do agree. But the thing I don't know is as long as I've used the Stihl, I don't know if they've "cheapened" up some parts, made specialized saws and the fact I really haven't been in the market to buy till my wrist gave out. The 034 has been all I've needed till now. I did but the 250, but I was still wondering if the two saws are that close or has gone cheap on me. I didn't know, so I thought I'd ask. Over all it sounds like it's just personal choice. Both are only as good as the owner wants them to be. :msp_smile:

I have 2 dolmars (5100s' and 6400)that I use for my go to saws. Found them to be trouble free and have a great dealer in reasonable driving distance. I also have a stihl 290, 210, and 180 along with a couple of old poulans that I enjoy playing around with. I now the stihls are consumer grade so comparing them to the dolmars is apples to oranges, but the stihls have always seemed slow and heavy compared to the dolmars, and the stihl pro saws are quite a bit more expensive than the comparable dolmars. All that being said, among the pro saws, I would look at the dealer first and then the saws.

Back