Question on Stihl 012 AV model year differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayJohns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I finally picked up a used Stihl 012 AV to go with my beloved 441 Magnum. I bought it used off Craigslist just now. One owner saw with about 10 hours on it. I'm super excited and can't wait to get it.

Question:

While shopping around for this particular saw, I noticed that there seem to be two slightly different models of the 012, which have mildly different configurations. For example, some have an orange power switch on the top, while others have black (see attached photos). There are also some other minor differences in the saw, from what I can see, such as the design of the vents on the side of the housing.

After a little searching on line, it appears they produced two different series of the Stihl 012 saws:

1. The Stihl 012 AVE - produced from 1986 to 1994
2. The Stihl 012 AVET - produced from 1986 to 1989

Am I correct that the "T" just means the top handle version?

Mainly I'm just trying to understand why the case looks different between the two saws and what's the story on the different color switches, etc. Are these just standard design changes over the years and if so, is one saw more or less durable and/or desirable than the other?

And in general, are these 012 AV saws considered to be good little saws? I just purchased it to rebuild and to have around for light work; maybe a little limbing now and again.

Mainly, I'm just wondering what the difference is between the saw with the black switch on top vs. the one with the red switch on top.

The top picture is the actual saw I purchased, which is being shipped to me tomorrow.

Ray

red switch.png $_57-1.png

I thought I would follow up, in case anyone else comes along looking for information on the Stihl 012 saw.

I contacted Stihl and asked them about the differences in the saws. I was told that there were no major changes to the model 012 during its production over the years. The saw with the red ignition switch was one of the earlier saws, while the black switch was a little latter production saw. I was also told that the saw with the black switch has a slightly improved choke system.

So in the end, I bought both saws. The one with the red switch arrived the other day and I was up all last night cleaning it up. The saw was in great shape and ran well when I fired it up and tuned it this afternoon. I'll post some photos here. I installed a nice 12" Oregon bar and chain on it also. The second saw is on the way, but should be here next week.

Based on the first saw, I'm really happy with this little 012 AV. It's a nice size and seems very well put together. I haven't used it to cut yet but I expect it will be just the ticket for small work and limbing.

I'll be interested to compare this little guy to the one that is still on the way. As far as the choke on the one below, it seemed to work just fine to me.

Ray

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have one that's like the lower one of the two. It's a great old saw and not just for limbing. It works pretty good in the bigger stuff too. I run a 16" bar on mine. Not a saw for bucking firewood, but not a problem with the occasional bigger tree.

I have one that's like the lower one of the two. It's a great old saw and not just for limbing. It works pretty good in the bigger stuff too. I run a 16" bar on mine. Not a saw for bucking firewood, but not a problem with the occasional bigger tree.

Good to know. I actually am setting up the 2nd 012 I purchased with a 16" blade for light work around the property. The 441 Magnum with the 20" and 28" bar handles the bigger stuff (such as bucking up trees).

Ray

wow my girl would draw the line of a saw in the sink.... i built an outside sink LOL.....for my grill area im putting a laundry sink in by the shed for saws.....

also your saw looks great very clean looking....nice job!!!!

Thank you :)

I was real happy with its condition and how clean it came out in the end. The only minor issue I found was that some of the plastic had heated up in the inside of the right side cover where the metal band is that stalls the clutch/motor (brake/spring assembly thing is). I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I wonder if someone attempted to run the saw with the brake lever in the wrong direction and caused friction to heat things up there to the point of melting some of the plastic in the area which touches the circular metal band.

The guy I bought the chain saw from seemed to take very good care of it, but he did mention that he had loaned it to his brother a month previously; I'm betting that the brother wasn't fully aware of how to operate the saw and might have accidentally run it while the brake was engaged or something - either that, or perhaps they let it run out of bar oil and/or the failure to properly clean it resulted in some sort of friction/heat being produced during operation. It's fairly minor though, so I'm not too worried about it.

The 2nd 012 that I ended up purchasing should arrive this week from New York. When I get it, I'll post some pictures of it and how it cleans up.

Ray

in have a buddy that some how always half engages the chain brake.... i will hear it and go over and it will be smoking hot......i have a older one with no chain brake for him now .....its my loan to neighbor saw LOL....

in have a buddy that some how always half engages the chain brake.... i will hear it and go over and it will be smoking hot......i have a older one with no chain brake for him now .....its my loan to neighbor saw LOL....

That's a good idea!

In fact, I had a question along those lines: I noticed (while searching for parts on ebay) that someone was selling a right side cover for my model saw, but it didn't have any of the brake stuff in the cover - nor did it even have provisions to accept the springs, etc. Is that a cover from a saw that was produced prior to Stihl adding the brake lever? And if so, can I install that cover on my saw to do away with the safety brake feature? When I was reading the manual, I noticed the picture of the chain sprocket they showed in the manual looked like just a normal sprocket with no clutch assembly on it. I was giving some thought to buying the cover in order to simplify the chain saw (even though I do like the idea of having the brake lever, I thought it might be nice to see how it looks without it).

Ray

dont know you can take it off i meant a older poulan saw..... i think all the 009 and 011 saws had them but i'm not sure.... lot of people here will know .....

the ipl i have shows them all having a chain brake 009 010 an 011 .....not sure if there were earlier models 009 or 011 that were with out....

They made a whole lot of these saws. The oldest where the white mag case and then later orange/black. so that switch change is possibly. o bye the way you suckkk. does the saw oil good. That foam will plug it. The switch on the 012avp is a little weird, the 009l runs like a screaming demon. heres mine

Attachments

• 100_0378.JPG
    100_0378.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0379.JPG
    100_0379.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0380.JPG
    100_0380.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0381.JPG
    100_0381.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 29
They made a whole lot of these saws. The oldest where the white mag case and then later orange/black. so that switch change is possibly. o bye the way you suckkk. does the saw oil good. That foam will plug it. The switch on the 012avp is a little weird, the 009l runs like a screaming demon. heres mine

Thanks for the info and great photos. Do you happen to know the difference between the 012 AV and the 012 AVP?

I haven't cut anything with this first saw, but I did tune it and it screamed at full throttle - so that's a good indication I think :) When I swing back by the shop (and have both saws) I'm going to do a compression check on them both and see how that sorts out.

Ray

Latest posts

Back