Question on Stihl 012 AV model year differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the handle and brake cover.

Oh, I see it now... tricky! :)

The reason I bought the 012 is because I remember thinking (from about 10 years or so ago) that I wanted a saw and "I thought the name was 012 AVP". When I started shopping around, I ran across the 012 AV and liked the style. I'll have to check into the AVP handle style a bit more - that looks pretty good!

Ray

That saw looks great with the 12" bar. Nicely done!

Thank you! Yeah, I wanted as small a saw a possible (but still with a little power). I figured the 012 with a 12" bar would be great. Oregon suggested either a 12, 14 or 16 in bar. I'm setting my second 012 AV up with a 16" bar just for the fun of it. I'll post pictures of how it looks with the 16" also. I thought about the 14", but I didn't think it was quite enough of a difference from the 12" to make it really worth having two saws.

My original idea was to sell one of the 012, but I'm so in love with this little saw now that I think I'll just keep both. What the heck. I'm sure one day my kids will sell all this stuff at some garage sale with their mom for 10 cents on the dollar, "I think Dad said this was a great saw - how about $5?"

Ugh.

Ray

does the saw oil good. That foam will plug it.

Oh to answer your question, yes, it's oiling up a storm. When I first fired it up, it took a second, but then started pumping and slinging oil off the tip of the chain/bar nicely. I'm using Stihl's bio chain oil. I didn't bother taking the pump apart, since the saw looked so clean.

Ray

The second Stihl 012 AV I purchased just arrived! It looks to be in pretty decent shape, although I think it could stand a fresh sprocket.

I'm going to tear it down and do some preliminary cleaning and see what's what.

Here are some photos, fresh out of the cardboard box

Ray

IMG_4213.JPG IMG_4214.JPG IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4216.JPG

Looks good. You should run the 009l saw. I like it better then the 012. Yea the handle on the 012avp is a little different.

Looks good. You should run the 009l saw. I like it better then the 012. Yea the handle on the 012avp is a little different.

Thanks!

What do you like more about the 009? Isn't it much smaller as far as cc's?

I'll keep my eyes open for a 009 - but if I buy too many more saws over here I'm going to have to check into opening a Stihl dealership ;-)

Ray

A pix ot the 009l is one page one. 009=36cc 009l=40cc 012= 45. It seems there are at least three style of handles on these saws.

Well, she's all cleaned and back together now. I fired her up on Friday and she screamed like a banshee! Fired on the 2nd pull too.

So now that I have both saws, I can see some of the differences. The saw below has all metal cases, while the first one has plastic. This saw has 3 extra holes in the bottom of the exhaust chamber, plus an additional little screen down there. On the first saw, I think someone replaced the air filter cover with an earlier model maybe, although I'm not totally sure.

I ordered a few replacement parts off ebay just now. I also had to replace the cracked fuel vent line in this saw.

All in all, both saws are in excellent condition. It's hard to say which one I like more, although the second one (below) seems to rev better. However, that might be because I did a better job cleaning the screen on the exhaust port (plus the 3 extra holes). When I have time, I'm going to re-clean the screen on the first one and see if that makes any difference.

I also ordered new sprockets and air cleaners for both saws.

Interesting note: on this saw, I discovered someone had removed and improperly re-installed the carb. Not only was the fuel line routed incorrectly, but the throttle linkage was in the wrong hole and not allowing the saw to run at WOT.

I made a video of firing up the saw, but my daughter was screaming so much, I'm not sure which you can hear more :)

Ray

IMG_4217.JPG
IMG_4219.JPG IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4221.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4227.JPG IMG_4228.JPG IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4231.JPG

Short clip of firing the saw -

====>>> NOTE: watch the volume levels!! Especially if you are wearing head phones right now :-D

Back