Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locoweed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Silly question perhaps, but do you guys that spend a lot of time on climbing spurs have problems with your feet after a few years?

It makes my feet hurt just thinking about it.

I don't know about the boots. I haven't had a pair of boots yet that really eliminated the pain from a full day in spurs. The boots I'm using know are mountaineering boots and they're great for climbing/working, but the hooks still hurt after a bit of time aloft.
There are plates available that attach to the hooks which disperse the pressure across your whole foot, but my experience was that they limit your mobility and just made the leg iron dig harder into my leg.

I wear lightweight steelcaps most of the time but I put on heavy duty boots when on spikes as theyre more ridged and the spikes fit better on them. It can be a pain to carry 2 pairs but makes all the difference if your chogging down an ugly barrel with the 66.

The right boots will make a huge difference. I like the boots made by Hoffman. They are out of Idaho. There are also weiscos, Halls, Red Wings, and many more. You get what you pay for. Try a boot that is considered a lineman boot. They have stiffer shanks and are more comfortable in hooks.

In addition to using logger boots with gaffs, I also use two pairs of socks. Doubling up on the socks makes a big difference.

A number of guys I know who specialize in big trees go with ice boots because the are designed to be attatched to devices for sticking to a vertical surface. You do not feel the sturip of your gaff and your weight is evenly distributed on the insole. If you're in gaff regularly it is workth the 200-300 they cost.

i reccomend 'stihl logger boots' for the use with spikes they have a great heal and thick sole ,they last for years and there cheap

most people i speak to say the stihl boots fall apart, or notso much fall apart as collapse sideways.......they do have a good heel though as you say

steve give a pair a try in 15+ years in this game i think there the best boots i have ever had seriously ,im on my 3rd pair i just love emm

Locoweed said:
Silly question perhaps, but do you guys that spend a lot of time on climbing spurs have problems with your feet after a few years?

It makes my feet hurt just thinking about it.

it eventually makes your feet turn outwards slightly,

i just bought the meindls rolla, pretty happy with them so far, comfy in spikes too

rolla, ive not been in the game as long as you, but although i find my stihls comfy, my last pair lasted 8 months, this pair have lasted 12 months now. they are comfy, but i find them cold and they let the water in (granted i was wading around in knee deep water yesterday though after the tractor got stuck).

everyone else wears hiaxs

jamie

elten fellsman boots ,haix are the new gucci ,but in my humble opinion not a very deep heel,stihls are good but too bulky,imo,i always go back to the eltens ,and new model has revised sole and better wear characteristics,once broken in a brilliant ,cheap boot ,

Theres know dought that climbing boots make a world of differance. You'all might get a laugh out of this but the boots am using are about 26 years old. :eek: They come just over the calf which gives the leg that extra support that we all need. At the time I bought them they ran about $250.00, if my memery serves me right. They've been resoled and reheeled so many times that I lost count. The last couple of times I had extra thick, ridged soles put on with a extra heel plate. I've also had extra leather replaced on the toes. The next pair will have steel toes. :cry:

Good boots with extra support in imo is one of the keys in staying longer in the trees without sore feet and or legs.

Back