question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhynotheblueboy

Reaction score
hello, just need to ask a couple of questions..

I have recently got myself a sthil029 for getting firewood, I often use it also cutting up pallets which i get from work. The trouble i am having is the chain keeps coming loose, and one of my chains is too loose to fit now, do they stretch?? and if so, why? Also notice my bar is bured, what am I doing for this to happen, I only use it for 15 minutes and the chain is loose and needs tightning, I am not really giving it a hard workout, as its been mainly pallets i have been cutting, which the wood is no bigger than 4x2. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, I am not a expert on these these things, and only used it a dozen times or so.

Cheers, Ryan.

Welcome to AS!
Is it using about a tank of oil to a tank of gas? Have you checked the oil hole in the bar to make sure it is clear of all debris? Does the oil hole on the bar line up with the port on the saw? And last but not least is the chain sharp? Cutting with a dull chain will stretch them very quickly. Others will chime in with more but this is a start.

you mention cutting pallets, so its likely your chains are dull because you're likely hitting nails in the wood. sawchains and metal in wood arent good friends.

solution for this issue:
1. start locating the nails and avoid them.
2. inspect chains for damage, and sharpen too. dont forget to adjust the depth gauges a little or else you wont be able to cut too effectively.

Also make a habit of cleaning your bar groove and oil hole on the bar regularly if you dont already., and file the burrs off your bar too.

Hopefully some of this information will be helpful. this site is a wealth of knowledge and information. oh yes, welcome to AS.

...also, make sure that the bar is lifted up (or pressed into wood) when you tension the chain. If not it will move under load and the chain becomes loose. Check your bar studs. If the shoulders have flat spots on them, this allows a lot of bar movement.

You didn't mention whether this is a new saw or a used one. What shape is it in?

Pallets can be great firewood. I love them for my fireplace [doesn't matter whether there are nails in the ash...no stove grate to get fouled up], I have seen them of oak, which we don't have around here in the Rockies, just mostly pine and spruce. But be careful. I've seen people cutting them in a manner where the boards pinch together and grab the chain running along the top of the bar. Make sure the pallet is placed so this won't happen. It can accelerate stretching and wear on the chain. I watched a guy do this once over and over and it is the only time I've actually witnessed a chain come apart. He wasn't hurt, just ended up ruining a chain.

If you aren't doing so already, flip the pallet over to examine both sides for nails before you cut. These things are built in high production assembly, often with pneumatic nail or staple guns, and not much care seems to be wasted in perfect placement of the nails. If they are machine made, I guess that would be less of a problem, but I've seen guys doing it by hand and they scream thru the process and simple leave any misplaced nails and move on. Hit one nail with a saw chain and at the very best you'll be replacing links.

Lakeside53 said:
...also, make sure that the bar is lifted up (or pressed into wood) when you tension the chain. If not it will move under load and the chain becomes loose. Check your bar studs. If the shoulders have flat spots on them, this allows a lot of bar movement.
Yes, after I have the chain adjusted I rest the tip on something and hold the back handle with my left hand and tighten the bar nuts with my right hand. After you make sure the bar is all cleaned out and good, getting oil etc.

Latest posts

Back