Quick estimate help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guy called and wants to clear his lot of trees for a home to be built this fall. 100'x100', 10,000 sq. ft of area, steep (3:1 slope), all pitch pines between 6 and 12", 40' tall. 100 trees in all. Limited access from top only, will need to use rope/pulley or tracked bobcat w/ grapple. Trees only, no stumping, chip it all and take away. It will be me and one other guy. Any insight to an estimate? Usually don't do jobs this big, mostly smaller jobs with problem trees. I'm looking at pricing it out at $3500. Good, bad? Giving estimate tonight.

Close, I think it is a little low since you need another machine to get the trees up the hill. A great deal for the HO, work smart.

LT...

why no stumping? dont the stumps have to come out anyway? add another 3k to bid and secure the stump work too, rent an excavator. up sell man! it would make skidding the logs out easier, stumps would get in your way with a tracked bobcat if you plan on moving the wood. blowing chips on site would also make this job easier.

100'x100' is a small lot clearing job and it sounds like every tree is chippable as whole. not sure what size chipper you have. 15" chipper with winch and a small ex is all you need. bobcat would help with forwarding but not really needed with trees that small if used chipper winch. with stumps pulled id be at 5k and be done by lunch time. to be honest I think you are high on your bid with no stump work(which is the more time consuming part of the job).

Its hard to compete on a bigger job than you normally do if you dont have the big machines to use. How many trucks do you have? running and dumping would kill a smaller co. on their bid. roll in with a fleet and roll out when finished, loaded, on to the next job.

On lot clearing we average 5k an acre with a 1 acre min charge.

Hard to say without seeing it. But 100 12"-6" trees sounds pretty simple. I'd set up a high line and winch em' up the hill. We did that with some small oaks down a hill, worked well. And yeah that is a lot of reps for a little over 500 posts. Good luck on the job..... Mike

The guys building a home on the site this fall and the stumps will come out when the excavator comes in to dig the foundation hole. My chipper is a 12" Vermeer BC1000xl chipped into a one ton and trucked maybe three miles way to a landscape yard. A bobcat with grapple is a possible option as is the mini excavator but I'll need to throw some cash to my friend that own the machines. So far I've read $3K is a bit low and that I should go as high as $4K. Based on a per tree estimate, $30-$40 per tree so far.

clearing

I did a 4 acre job last year if you don't have the right equipment it will kill you in labor costs.with the slope you are talking about $4000 sounds pretty fair. fell the trees to the top of the hill and then drag and process the tree on the flat surface it will go alot faster. be careful on steep slope with skidsteer I would pull them up with skidsteer. good luck stay safe.

Followed up and went to the site to find the job done. Not angry but emailed the owner to see who got the job and at what price. Guy a couple towns away got the job and did it all for $1800. The guys been in business a long time so he didn't underbid it just to get the job. Seems really low but hey, the homeowners happy. Maybe he'll call on the second phase, the cleanup and tree trimming for views.

Only variable I didn't ask was how long it took. He definately used machines though. It didn't matter, the lot was goin to get dug up anyway.

Win some, lose some. :dunno:

The whole "reps thing"---

(snip)And yeah that is a lot of reps for a little over 500 posts.(snip)

The reps stars and bars are a scam, of sorts, for some posters here. I checked into some of the members who have more reps than seemingly possible. An interesting pattern is seen: A "phantom member" is seen to have joined at about the same time as the member with all of the reps. This phantom member never posts, but reps the guy who gets all of the little rep figures under his name. Draw your own conclusions.

I wrote to the owners of this board about this, recently, but they apparently didn't feel it was important enough to do anything about it. So, FWIW, don't think that just because a given member has a ton of color under his/her name, this member is necessarily posting great pearls of wisdom that wow everybody here. As the song goes: It ain't necessarily so!

Rep points? You guys are diminished to question and comment on rep points? What if a guy came down the road with 30 saws in his truck and a two man crew? Who cares? Maybe if you guys had a little fun on the site on occation as oppose to dropping you "pearls of wisdom" for everyone to read, you might have a few more rep points. And if I could, I'd give you mine because I don't quite care about them. It just depends on where you post. I have no control who reps me or doesn't. And then someone goes to tell the moderator that the rep point system is unfair or un-real?

Get a grip.

There used to be a thread here called "beg for rep" and alot of people posted there just to get rep, including myself. :clap:

It was for fun and giggles is all, and to prove to most anyone that rep on forums means nothing at all.. alot of people here did it. Bottom line is, "rep" on most any forum means NOTHING. :dizzy:

The real rep you will find by the response to posts the members make over time. READ and you will learn, take from it what you will.. but you still must know enough about your line of work to know BS and bad advice when you read it, in that way... you will see and show your own true "rep". :cheers:

Fwiw:

why no stumping? dont the stumps have to come out anyway? add another 3k to bid and secure the stump work too, rent an excavator. up sell man! it would make skidding the logs out easier, stumps would get in your way with a tracked bobcat if you plan on moving the wood. blowing chips on site would also make this job easier.

100'x100' is a small lot clearing job and it sounds like every tree is chippable as whole. not sure what size chipper you have. 15" chipper with winch and a small ex is all you need. bobcat would help with forwarding but not really needed with trees that small if used chipper winch. with stumps pulled id be at 5k and be done by lunch time. to be honest I think you are high on your bid with no stump work(which is the more time consuming part of the job).

Its hard to compete on a bigger job than you normally do if you dont have the big machines to use. How many trucks do you have? running and dumping would kill a smaller co. on their bid. roll in with a fleet and roll out when finished, loaded, on to the next job.

On lot clearing we average 5k an acre with a 1 acre min charge.

This was a good post and REAL REP worthy. I tried.

Rep points? You guys are diminished to question and comment on rep points? What if a guy came down the road with 30 saws in his truck and a two man crew? Who cares? Maybe if you guys had a little fun on the site on occation as oppose to dropping you "pearls of wisdom" for everyone to read, you might have a few more rep points. And if I could, I'd give you mine because I don't quite care about them. It just depends on where you post. I have no control who reps me or doesn't. And then someone goes to tell the moderator that the rep point system is unfair or un-real?

Get a grip.

It's not a matter of getting a grip. It's simply a matter of showing that rep points are sometimes "faked" on here. For what reason, I don't know. Maybe you can tell me why they're important, your dismissive attitude about them notwithstanding.

Each star represents about thirty positive reps. You're soon to have about thirty stars, meaning you've had 900 reps. With about 600 posts, that would mean that each and every one of your posts got at least one, and sometimes two, people repping you. I strongly doubt that's the case.

I actually don't give a :censored: about the fact that the points obviously mean a great deal to some on here, to the point of being faked by using the above-mentioned phantom posters. I actually was drawn into looking into this when I noticed how some, like you, had so many reps with comparatively few posts.

Go right ahead and do whatever. If reps are important, you get them any way you want. That's all I'm going to say about this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back