Quick little Echo question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently picked up a like new Echo 3450. Small saw, not much "wow" factor, but I think it's pretty well built, like most Echo's. It is a two ring piston at anyway..
I understand that it is a reed valve saw, which is fine with me, but I was wandering if anyone had any thoughts on the potential gains of a muffler mod? It doesn't have much power, although it has good compression and the piston looks like new. I know they aren't known for power. I don't expect it to run like my 020, but I have had a lot of success with opening up the mufflers on a lot of saws. I'll have to remove the stupid limiter caps to richen it up, but that is no big deal. Thoughts??

BTW, I finished up my J-RED 920 rebuild, including a home made velocity stack and cone filter setup. and am very pleased. It's now what I would expect from 87cc of swedish power.

I also just completed a rebuild, cylinder porting Intake and exhaust ( SUPER restricted) and muffler mod on a bargain PP295 that I felt like messing with, and again, really surprised at the huge improvement.

The question is quick. Not the saw.
British Humor. Gotta love it. nlmao.

Why not?

You obviously like doing it with your other saws, so just go for it.

Make for an interesting thread when you are done, we get plenty of large saws built up to look at, but very few small saws.

CS-3450 Echo

I can give you my 2 cents, if that is worth anything.

I have several CS-345's and CS-346's and one CS-3450. The CS-3450 is just an earlier version of the CS-345. While the CS-346's has a catalytic converter, and other smog items, ex. carb.

The CS-346's respond really well to a muffler mod and carb adjusment. Of course when you get rid of the converter, that is the biggest step.

The CS-345 is closer to your saw. The only CS-345's that I have seen, had No converter. Maybe some did, I don't know. Anyway, you can still clean up the muffler opening a bit and remove the screen. If you are allowed to run, without a screen, where you live. And of course adjust the carb; a good chance, it is way too lean.

I'm pretty sure the CS-3450 is almost exactly the same as the CS-345.

You didn't say what compression number you found; but they must be good. Remember that saw is is several years old.

Of course you can always clean the ports up and check the squish; but I have never had to. Once you open the exhaust up and get your fuel mixture good; that saw should really come alive. And, I have never had an engine failure with an Echo yet. So open it up and let it scream. It is only 34.2 cc's, so I use nothing bigger than a 16" bar.

mine did!

I can give you my 2 cents, if that is worth anything.

I have several CS-345's and CS-346's and one CS-3450. The CS-3450 is just an earlier version of the CS-345. While the CS-346's has a catalytic converter, and other smog items, ex. carb.

The CS-346's respond really well to a muffler mod and carb adjusment. Of course when you get rid of the converter, that is the biggest step.

The CS-345 is closer to your saw. The only CS-345's that I have seen, had No converter. Maybe some did, I don't know. Anyway, you can still clean up the muffler opening a bit and remove the screen. If you are allowed to run, without a screen, where you live. And of course adjust the carb; a good chance, it is way too lean.

I'm pretty sure the CS-3450 is almost exactly the same as the CS-345.

You didn't say what compression number you found; but they must be good. Remember that saw is is several years old.

Of course you can always clean the ports up and check the squish; but I have never had to. Once you open the exhaust up and get your fuel mixture good; that saw should really come alive. And, I have never had an engine failure with an Echo yet. So open it up and let it scream. It is only 34.2 cc's, so I use nothing bigger than a 16" bar.

my lil cs 3000 saws woke up alot just moddin the muffs taken screen out drillin bigger holes etc... and a carb adjust!!! they eat the gas up faster LOL..

Thanks for the input, The main reason I ask about this particular saw, is that I read a while ago, that being a reed valve saw, it wouldn't respond well to a muffler mod. I didn't understand the comment, in as much as breathing is breathing, piston ported or reed, but I do know that I don't know everything, and I assumed that there was a reason for the comment even though i couldn't understand why it would make a difference. I have the muffler off, and have looked inside, and there is definitely room for improvement with respect to the size of the outlet of the muff and the size and number of holes in the chamber.
I haven't done the math, but I'll bet the exhaust port area to outlet surface area ratio is pretty restricted.

Latest posts

Back