Quick Question - tilted mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guy's .....I think the model BobL was refering to is the J100 chainsaw mill and not the bandsaw version . Is this correct Bob? The J100 model is $1025us , Quite a bit cheaper than the Logosol m7 , But a bit heavier , the Logosol M7 weigh's 52kg's and the Jobber J100 weigh's 77kg's . The bandmill version is around $4000us . Cheer's MM

Yes the J100 was the one I was referring to - not that it really matters. The reason my original question arose was that an acquaintance of mine reckoned that if the end of the bar is pointing down it would be an inherently safer mill operation. My opinion was that an safer mode of CS mill operation would have the nose covered with a guard of some kind and when I forwarded these pics to him he reluctantly agreed. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I have visions of someone coming up to the side of the mill opposite the operator for a stickybeak and having their leg or foot slashed from the exposed bar. I guess you just have to keep absolutely everyone away from that side of the mill.

Not sure who made this one , it is off of this site

Yes the J100 was the one I was referring to - not that it really matters. The reason my original question arose was that an acquaintance of mine reckoned that if the end of the bar is pointing down it would be an inherently safer mill operation. My opinion was that an safer mode of CS mill operation would have the nose covered with a guard of some kind and when I forwarded these pics to him he reluctantly agreed. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I have visions of someone coming up to the side of the mill opposite the operator for a stickybeak and having their leg or foot slashed from the exposed bar. I guess you just have to keep absolutely everyone away from that side of the mill.

Here is some pic,s of another mill off of this site , not sure who's it is . Cheer's MM

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I have visions of someone coming up to the side of the mill opposite the operator for a stickybeak and having their leg or foot slashed from the exposed bar. I guess you just have to keep absolutely everyone away from that side of the mill.
I agree... even though my csm has that flimsy aluminum guard covering the end of the bar, I still get real nervous when anybody comes even close to my mill when I'm cutting. Thought many times of fabricating a more serious one for it, but don't want to increase the weight too much. Did a demo of my operation last year at a small show, and there were crowds of people gathered around watching me mill with both the csm and Ripsaw. I was a wreck. Even though most kept their distance, there were guys that wanted to get up close and personal to see exactly how this all worked. For those who have never seen one of these little mills in operation, it's a pretty good draw for the curious. I was too busy worrying about somebody getting too close.

Good point mate

That one looks sort of safer - well at least it has it's nose covered - Is it cutting on the other side of the bar otherwise smaller logs would be continully being lifted off the base.

Good point mate , I have no Idea , I just colected some pic's for future info and idea's , pic's all too often tell more than word's , bit like action's say more than word's ever can . Cheer,s MM

Guards

I agree... even though my csm has that flimsy aluminum guard covering the end of the bar, I still get real nervous when anybody comes even close to my mill when I'm cutting. Thought many times of fabricating a more serious one for it, but don't want to increase the weight too much. Did a demo of my operation last year at a small show, and there were crowds of people gathered around watching me mill with both the csm and Ripsaw. I was a wreck. Even though most kept their distance, there were guys that wanted to get up close and personal to see exactly how this all worked. For those who have never seen one of these little mills in operation, it's a pretty good draw for the curious. I was too busy worrying about somebody getting too close.

Yes , I will have too get energetic and put some type of guard's in place , I have had some very close shave's with chainsaw's , cut straight through one of my front pocket's , about 4" worth , didnt even know till later , done the same sort of thing , around one of my anckle's also , I have had a couple of close one's with my mill , time to take note of what you guy's are saying , while I can . Thank's for the reminder . Cheer's MM

Hi Guy's .....I think the model BobL was refering to is the J100 chainsaw mill and not the bandsaw version . Is this correct Bob? The J100 model is $1025us , Quite a bit cheaper than the Logosol m7 , But a bit heavier , the Logosol M7 weigh's 52kg's and the Jobber J100 weigh's 77kg's . The bandmill version is around $4000us . Cheer's MM

Yeah well, almost, just about but not quite. The M7 will cut up to 17' long and the jobber cuts 12'. Also the M7 doesn't rust.

Rodney

Logosol M7 USA $2400us

Yeah well, almost, just about but not quite. The M7 will cut up to 17' long and the jobber cuts 12'. Also the M7 doesn't rust.

Rodney

I am sure a bloke can buy a bit more rail and still be way ahead mate , when you compare price's .....http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/m7/ ....Cheer's MM:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I am sure a bloke can buy a bit more rail and still be way ahead mate , when you compare price's .....http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/m7/ ....Cheer's MM:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Well sorta, kinda, maybe. If price is the only thing you want to compare. I see a couple of other things that I don't really care for. And, Like I said before, you sure seem to have some kind of hard-on for Logosol. --Mate--

Rodney

Objective view

I prefer to have an objective view , not a biased view , as my setup is a Logosol type mill and as I said before , I am happy for people to comment on my setup , whether their view's are negative or not , one would have to wonder if your actually receiving a commission from Logosol , you seem to get upset every time anyone mention's Logosol , just like on the other thread . I am not sure which part you don't understand about a forum , this is where we discuss all aspect's of our equipment , not just the bit's that suit us , otherwise how does anyone learn anything , if we have to restrict what aspects of our sawmills we talk about , because we might upset someone , how much discussion do you think there will be , it would seem the only mill your actually interested in is your own , you seem to forget that I have a Logosol style mill . You need to do your home work a bit better , There is a fair bit of difference between $4000us and $1025 . Also the price of the Logosol being $2400 . A bit less BS and more objective view would help a lot mate .

Latest posts

Back