Quick Stihl Question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrew888

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got a call from a friend who wants to get a good small/mid size firewooding saw today, for home use only. I'm a Stihl fan so thats what im reccomending. Any suggestions on what model he should get? Thanks!

The 250 or 290 there both reliable saws not pro models by any means but great saws none the less. If he has the money buy a 261 or a used 260 or 026 and they would probably be the last saw he would ever need.

I am a buy once kind of guy, so I am a pro saw all the way guy. If you insist on new, it will limit choices to ms261. Also if he want's still only it will limit choices. I am also a believer in good used saws, which this site has many, and good sellers and guy's you can trust. Personally I like the 026 or 260 pro better. If you go new get the 261, if it were me I would go look at huskies and more two. Worst thing to do is be in a hurry.

MS261 is a fine pick. The village locally runs a 391 and it has been good for them. I think I would snag one of those for home user level firewooding.

And the answer is...............drum roll please..................................MS261C....................:clap:

I've got to admit I was confused when we got there, plenty to choose from. I wasn't familiar with the Soft Start feature and personally I'm not ready to go there yet but that was a selling point for this fellow. I had a good look at the 360 series with a 3/8 chain X 24 inch bar and that's what I would have got if it was going to be for me...but it wasn't. I can't remember if it was a 360, 361, or a 362 I was looking at but it wasn't a pro and it did have a decompression switch ($600).

With respect to the choice he made for the MS261C, I already have an 026 and a 034 so another saw in that size range is not required for me but appears to be a great fit for him. It would seem that many of you approve of his choice too...thanks for the input!

Sorry about the lack of pictures...he took the damn saw home with him.:msp_angry:

Oh, just as a point if interest, I have a few other older than my 026 & 034 Stihl's that I've collected over the years but the one that got me addicted to Stihl is my 032, dead now but a really fine firewood gettin saw for a few decades.

The 250 or 290 there both reliable saws not pro models by any means but great saws none the less. If he has the money buy a 261 or a used 260 or 026 and they would probably be the last saw he would ever need.

Sounds like a "pest or colera" question, I'm out! :eek:uttahere:

Last edited:
And the answer is...............drum roll please..................................MS261C....................:clap:

I've got to admit I was confused when we got there, plenty to choose from. I wasn't familiar with the Soft Start feature and personally I'm not ready to go there yet but that was a selling point for this fellow. I had a good look at the 360 series with a 3/8 chain X 24 inch bar and that's what I would have got if it was going to be for me...but it wasn't. I can't remember if it was a 360, 361, or a 362 I was looking at but it wasn't a pro and it did have a decompression switch ($600).

With respect to the choice he made for the MS261C, I already have an 026 and a 034 so another saw in that size range is not required for me but appears to be a great fit for him. It would seem that many of you approve of his choice too...thanks for the input!

Sorry about the lack of pictures...he took the damn saw home with him.:msp_angry:

Oh, just as a point if interest, I have a few other older than my 026 & 034 Stihl's that I've collected over the years but the one that got me addicted to Stihl is my 032, dead now but a really fine firewood gettin saw for a few decades.

You guys did good. The MS261 has garnered a serious following with Pro users and firewooders. Not many have a complaint with it. With a 16" bar and full chisel it is like a weapon. I've got a pair of them and a 026 with some engine work on it. They are a sweet saw in that class.

You guys did good. The MS261 has garnered a serious following with Pro users and firewooders. Not many have a complaint with it. With a 16" bar and full chisel it is like a weapon. I've got a pair of them and a 026 with some engine work on it. They are a sweet saw in that class.

Could I be mistaken...I believe his has a 20" bar? The salesman said that 20" is the longest it could take.

I run 18" and 20" bars on mine. It does OK with a 20", but balances better with an 18".

Could I be mistaken...I believe his has a 20" bar? The salesman said that 20" is the longest it could take.

Yup, both mine came with a 20". I got a 16" cause we got to usin' it in the bucket truck extensively. 16" don't have a replaceable nose, that's the only thing, but it will pay for itself daily and last for weeks. Best thang about that high powered class of Stihls is you can run .375 chain if you like.

I have a 20" 3/8" b/c and a 18" 3/8" b/c for my 261 (but it's not a 261C) :msp_wink:

Up here in the PNW 261's are always on the shelf with a 20" and usually with .325 chain. I swapped mine at the dealer with a 16" bar and 3/8" chain. 20" with either chain works great here.

Good choice!

Yes its the 20" with the .325. I'm going to suggest he break it in with a 40:1 mix. I personally have never owned a new saw...not even close.

Back