Quince...leaning, can we do anything.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After fruit is off, this it out a bit and try to lift it up and prop something under it to hold it up.

And, if you do manage to get it propped into a more vertical mode, don't expect it to look great for a couple of years: it's been growing sideways for a long time.

Also, if you do try to right it, don't do anything NUTS like pulling it quickly upright with a vehicle - it could work, but would do a LOT of underground damage to root structures that are currently under its leaf canopy.

If it were mine, I'd use a ropejack (comealong) and get it partway up (and braced), thin it to get an idea of how you want it to look in 5 years, let it wait out the winter (braced) and take another run at getting it vertical next Spring.

Less root damage now and it has a good shot at re-establishing any torn roots before the really cold weather sets in.

If it were mine, I'd use a ropejack (comealong) and get it partway up (and braced), thin it to get an idea of how you want it to look in 5 years, let it wait out the winter (braced) and take another run at getting it vertical next Spring.

What kate said - especially if you have some good rains in the spring, which should make the soil more agreeable to letting the roots move rather than snap and tear... :cheers:

I Agree

What kate said - especially if you have some good rains in the spring, which should make the soil more agreeable to letting the roots move rather than snap and tear... :cheers:

I agree... I would loosly (this means a large half loop) put a rope around it and comealong it up a little at a time... if you have an old car or anything to ancher it too would work well... otherwise rope and brace like mentioned above.

Whatever you do, don't pull it back.

Manipulate it with pruning over a couple of seasons to DIRECT it's growth.

On 400 aces of trees at 4 country clubs, virtually every tree we pulled back in place (position), went right back over again within a few years.

That's when I learned it was better to leave the tree leaning, and redirect it, using leaders or limbs on one side to "lead" the tree that way with new growth, while removing limbs leading toward the lean (which also were unneccesary weight on that side.

It won't work with every tree, but with many trees. Your tree has a lot of branches and can be manipulated.

You can prop the trunk as it sits for a while.

The only way I'll pull a tree back in place, is if I can get the entire root system to tilt. But that is only practical with tiny trees.

Try a cut like the one below. Then on the lean side, follow a few branches back to another smaller branch and make a cut - shortening several. But leave everything long on the side that it leaned away from...

attachment.php

The cut is a suggestion. Can't see all the branches.

Last edited:
Hope this might help. This is similar in strategy, although not a leaning tree. This maple in Tualatin, Oregon, was starting to grow into the house and brush against the gutter and corner of the siding. Instead of putting a rope on it and bending it, I manipulated it with pruning. I removed leaders leading the wrong way, and just saved leaders / limbs where I needed them. Simply shifting it over without any bending. Only took two big limbs off.

Looks a bit different for a year, but improves faster than one might expect. In fact, this tree looked good from the opposite side where the front yard is, even right after I pruned it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It also appears that soil was added to make a raised bed. Take a look again at the pics and click to enlarge. I see some type of ring around the tree.

Newt

It is in an old raised area....

It seems a few owners ago this property was owned by a landscaper and we have a lot of plastic pots with the bottoms cut off inverted in the ground, plastic edging that is buried and wire mesh concealed in berries and other growth, raised areas, half filled in trenches and other things that the last owner let go...

We had it logged two years ago, mistake on our part at least the logger we used but that is past history now.

Would pictures from other angles help? We had (and I notice both of our closer neighbors still have) some trees including large ones that were at an severe angle, no idea why, we had a large cedar that was rotting that was at about over 45 degree angle from vertical and a few others that were not quite that bad.

Raised bed? If not done right not firm enough for the tree to remain vertical or?

Thanks for the help, I am learning a lot!!

We had (and I notice both of our closer neighbors still have) some trees including large ones that were at an severe angle, no idea why...

Raised bed? If not done right not firm enough for the tree to remain vertical or?

I suspect you had some type of wind event that caused so many trees to 'lean'. If the raised bed was added and then the tree was planted, it could be the tree roots didn't go deep into the native soil. If the raised bed was added after the tree was planted then covering the rootflare could have weakened the tree. With so many other trees effected in the area I still suspect a wind event.

Newt

wind event

A wind event is a definite possibility. Another to consider is that the landscaper "heeled in" a quantity of plant material and neglected (for whatever reasons) to bring some of it back upright the following Spring.

I like it the way it is, easier to climb. :D
I think it was planted that way. To pull that up you it would take years or need to be dug up and replanted. It's healthy now and not going to get much bigger.

Back