QVC folding cubes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
QVC has a set of three folding cubes for under $20.
Item # V17285
might not be the same quality as the original throw line cubes but the advert. said they could hold 50lbs.
frans

Brett,
They are folding tarps. You unfold them, flake your line into them and fold them up. Supposed to be a good way to store ropes or throwline. Sounds more like a good way for somebody to make $20. :rolleyes:

Throwline Cubes

to clarify
the throwline cubes are storage containers that fold up to a tiny triangles or flat bundles.
these containers or "cubes" are great for using as throwline storage. What makes them great is the huge opening, it is ideal for putting your throwline into and out of. So when you need to set a climbing line into a tree you open this cube and the throwline will pay out easily. Then when you want to put it away, the huge opening allows you to place the line in the container easily.

Have you ever tried to stuff your throwline into a small chalk bag or similar type stuff sack?

Frans

It's a huge over simplification to call the cube a folding tarp.Unless you've seen or used a cube I can see how someone might think that the cube isn't worthwhile.

Again, file in the for what it's worth column. Snarf sent me the link last night so I looked it up and sent it onto a bunch of the arbos in my address book. I've gotten emails back that five have bought the set of three already. And I don't make a penny on the deal! I'm sure taht QVC has a pretty liberal return policy if you don't think the kit is worth $25.

A buddy brought back a cube from Germany last winter and I think it is the best way to store throwline. Take a look at the hegh end version. Remember that a Euro is worth about 1$ US.

http://falteimer.com/

Tom

Last edited:
After tarrifs and fees, I'm told they cost $90 to import, the german modle.

Ox found one at Pier1 of 12 bucks too.

The big difference between the arbo model and the cheapos are;
synthetic fabric
2 pouches for throwballs
a snap to secure the colapsed container

The only drawback is you need to have a separate set for in tree use, a short line in a NewTribe line mug.

I use 5 gallon pails for throw line storage, which work fine. That is why I hadnt sprung for the Expensive german version. The website is cool, the way the poor fella explains how much work it was to design the cube, and how it kept him from doing tree work.

I'm sure the cheap ones can be easily modified to work. i don't need a ball pouch, just a little clip or something to tie off the end of the throw line so it doesn't get knotted, and maybe a carrying handle if one is not included.

I'll be ordering a set directly...Thanks Tom and Franz, uh snarf...

$90??

$90 for throwline storage?? Some one has to be laughing all the way to the bank on that one.

It does take forever and a day to hank all of that line back into a chalk bag.

Tom - I'm sure it has just a slip of the tongue, but the D Mark is dead. Euro now.

Thanks again Tom - I'm reading and learning.

Nate

I agree, Nate. $90 for a container to put throwline in is just too far out of reach for 98% of the climbers out there. Sure, there will always be that 2% that have figured out how to make their fortune and can buy $50-$100 toys to save a couple minutes here and there. The rest of us will make do with used 5 gallon buckets or something.

The big advantage to all this is that the few independantly wealthy guys can help figure out what works and what doesn't, and help popularize the truly functional stuff driving down the cost.

The Cube

I have a cube and I tell you it is the sweetest invention for the throwline! I have tried many ways to store throwline and the Cube is the hot skinny, in fact I am considering getting 2 more so I have one for each weight of throw bag I use. The cheapies on QVC and at Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. are no comparison.:)

Mike, look back to my last post on this. I think the biggest differance is the fabric.

Brian, I agree with waiting for other people to try stuff out. I never buy something untill it has gone through the riggors of a Dunlap feild test. BTW, if he is wealthy, he is a happy miser; I been to his house:D

Cube

If you go to the site falteimer.com and then to the product info section you can actually see photos of the cube in action and that the stowed cube is much more compact and secure than the QVC etc. This is a major advantage to me as I travel with gear frequently. The fabric is different yes, but there are several other differences. Greg Good has the cube cheaper than the $90 you are discussing here. :p

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
After tarrifs and fees, I'm told they cost $90 to import, the german modle.

How do you figure? I thought that only matters if you import over $400 worth of goods.

Latest posts

Back