R16 recoil/starter noise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerstroke73

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Fairly new to the forums here. Been floating around a little bit. I have just started picking up a few older saws and fixing them up.

I have an old Partner R16. Starts and runs great. However at idle it seems like something in the starter/recoil housing is getting caught up. It usually starts happening within 20 seconds of the saw being started. It sounds almost like the starter pawls catching on something. It clunks/clicks for a bit and it seems to "catch" and then it dies. After it dies, it starts up fine as kind. At throttle there is no problem. I've listened to both clutch and starter side and it's definitely on the starter side.

It's got good fuel, and I've checked the Piston and cylinder for wear and both look excellent.

I checked the pawls on the flywheel and they aren't sticky, they seem to move free and clear. When the recoil housing is off of the saw it seems to function correctly, cord retracts fine.

Any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Is the spring clip inside the starter recoil housing on the stud,? It holds it all together.
If it’s not there I’m not sure if the starter pulley can bump the crank nut or flywheel..

I’m new to these and I see another loose c type clip inside the recoil spring housing it seems to hold the spring loop captured to the starter pulley. I’m not sure if it should be in there or not. I put it down for a while the spring hit me in the face. Not good.

Seeing that you're still perplexed by this, as am I, could be time to at least eliminate the starter as the source of the problem.
If you can adjust the idle so it runs fast enough not to make the noise or stop, shut it down, remove the bar and chain and replace the bar with spacers or just any old bar and no chain, clamp the bar in a really solidly mounted vice (or get someone else to hold the saw), start it and get it running strongly, then remove the starter and then drop the idle and see what happens.

Is the spring clip inside the starter recoil housing on the stud,? It holds it all together.
If it’s not there I’m not sure if the starter pulley can bump the crank nut or flywheel..

I’m new to these and I see another loose c type clip inside the recoil spring housing it seems to hold the spring loop captured to the starter pulley. I’m not sure if it should be in there or not. I put it down for a while the spring hit me in the face. Not good.

Seeing that you're still perplexed by this, as am I, could be time to at least eliminate the starter as the source of the problem.
If you can adjust the idle so it runs fast enough not to make the noise or stop, shut it down, remove the bar and chain and replace the bar with spacers or just any old bar and no chain, clamp the bar in a really solidly mounted vice (or get someone else to hold the saw), start it and get it running strongly, then remove the starter and then drop the idle and see what happens.

Thanks. I'll start with the clip. I'll see if I have another housing with a pull cord I can try as well.

Back