race chain 101.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
in the north east it's pretty impossible to get chain square ground. from the pics of race chain people post the chain is ground down to the end of it's life.

i plan on running a 20in bar , i ordered 3 loops of new square ground chain and their going to grind a bit off and take the rakers down a little. he told me not to grind it to the end. he also said once i get the chains to remove some of the back of the tooth.

this is my first time i will be playing at one of these events so i'm just looking for some tips so i don't get labeled as a total newbie. :)

i have not tried it yet.......i just recieved them yesterday. i'll have to wait til i get to the yard on monday to try them.

Hello kftree, making chain is fun, but also time consuming, but worth it. As you go along you will pick up things here and there to make a faster chain. You may want to remove the protruding metal on the front of the raker, this also improves chip flow.
John
DSC_0009.jpg

Gypo -- when you start out to building a race chain say from a standard Carlton A1LM, where do you start the shaping process- what part of the cutter do you shape up 1st, then 2nd, etc., or does it matter?

If setting up a square grinder is beyond the pocket book or if it's hard to find someone with real understanding and experience with setting up a square grinder in my area, is there any way a beginner could make a "race-like chain," starting with just a round file? [best round-filed race-like chain on the east coast type thing--LOL, but not totally] (hope this is not hyjacking the thread! - it did seem like it was kind of in the IPS-initial predicament statement)

Hi Molecule, although I am just an amateur in the whole scheme of things, I am just a product of the AS members who I have learned from.
Having had spent time in various camps, namely Camp Fales, Camp Martin, Camp Dunn, Camp Heard, Camp Rupely, I even spent time in Camp Crofter, but I probably learned the most in Camp Cahoon because he taught me how to stone like they do in Oklahoma.
Anyway, getting back to your question Molecule, although round filing is only a means to an end, it is really the square cutter that is the basis of the racing chain. Better men than I have adopted the use of a square file and this is something you could aim for. I guess the basics are for me, a cutter length of 4-5 millimeters, rakers at 20 thou.
If you concentrate mainly on getting everything exact and all cutters equel, then this will give you your best gains.
One of the best tips I learned was from Dennis Cahoon, never try to make your fastest chain or saw faster, try to make another one that's faster instead. It is too bad Dennis was such an a$$ole and got banned, cause he really offered alot of good info once in awhile.
John
DSC_0014.jpg

Latest posts

Back