railroad track for I beam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlynr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 4x8" I beam that I was going to use for a log splitter after reinforcing it and then I measured a piece of railroad track that I thought was too short and it is 70" long and am now considering using it by turning it upside down and put the 5" base on top. Is this a good idea or not?

Last edited:
R.r. track is pretty strong. I can't see a problem, so long as you keep it from turning.

Railroad track is at least medium carbon steel so it does take some precautions to weld it, like preheating and definitely takes you into 7018 welding rod territory. It is approaching spring steel in content though is usually softer in temper than spring temper. There would be a danger of cracking at the weld beads.Structural steel is about 20 points of carbon and rail about 50, just off the top of my head.

The ball of the rail (what you will have downward) will be even much harder due to work hardening from the wheels. If you need to weld that, grind off at least 1/16 of the hard skin or it will likely crack.

Bottom flange (you will have as top) will be as rolled, high carbon/alloy as noted above, with special welding.

Railroad track is at least medium carbon steel so it does take some precautions to weld it, like preheating and definitely takes you into 7018 welding rod territory. It is approaching spring steel in content though is usually softer in temper than spring temper. There would be a danger of cracking at the weld beads.Structural steel is about 20 points of carbon and rail about 50, just off the top of my head.
crofter--maybe he could talk to the rail boys--and get some vials of the stuff they weld the rails together with------------thermet i believe

RR rails are strong in only one direction. Flat down on the flange.

There way to brittle to mess with and you ever seen a 40' rail picked up on its side from the middle? It will droop like a piece of pasta, just before it can break.

You can't stop it from turning/twisting.

Like was noted before, it's tough to weld, best welded with I think 9018?

RR rail for a splitter beam is a bad idea.

I have a 4x8" I beam that I was going to use for a log splitter after reinforcing it and then I measured a piece of railroad track that I thought was too short and it is 70" long and am now considering using it by turning it upside down and put the 5" base on top. Is this a good idea or not?

I welded for a few years in the track department. Scrap your rail or make some knifes out of it. Use any rod you want how ever hot or cold you want and weld a piece of steel to the ball, web or base then hit it with a sledge hammer. This should help you to decide to move on to an H beem or anything that will work better.

I've got a couple of different rods to try a test weld on the rr track and if it doesn't go well then will revert back to I beam. I have a 14-16" anvil made from rr track and have been abusing it for 20 years, but never tried welding anything to it. Thanks for input.

Merlynr what you will find is narrow and shallow holding power from the weld. This is a guarantee, the weld will not break, a narrow shallow section of the rail will break away with the weld. That is a characteristic of the make up of rail. Widen and thicken the bead and you will get the same results. The rail is strong enough, anything welded to it will be a weak link. The only exception here would be to bolt the wedge and weld it to the base, most of your holding strength will come from the bolts. Same goes for the end plate that will hold the cylinder in place. At least 1/2'' or better yet 3/4'' bolts and a heavy weld would make it strong enough. With out the bolts you are asking for trouble.

Last edited:
I welded for a few years in the track department. Scrap your rail or make some knifes out of it. Use any rod you want how ever hot or cold you want and weld a piece of steel to the ball, web or base then hit it with a sledge hammer. This should help you to decide to move on to an H beem or anything that will work better.

I have watched our steel mill welders make temporary repairs to railroad track. The welds never held very long. Permanent repairs were splice bars with bolts or thermite welding by an outside company.

I know that there are guys who know much more than me when it comes to I beam's and steel qty. but I would like to tell you I have A splitter Made from a railroad track that I have been using for the last 10 year's and had no problem with spitting welds or no sign's of cracks and the splitter is still A #1 shape.

I know that there are guys who know much more than me when it comes to I beam's and steel qty. but I would like to tell you I have A splitter Made from a railroad track that I have been using for the last 10 year's and had no problem with spitting welds or no sign's of cracks and the splitter is still A #1 shape.

Luck has been with you, that's for sure. What pump and cylinder are you using? Its likely your welds are very marginal for the load being applied. I thought about building one using rail but with welds and bolts. There is no question as to the strength and stiffness of the rail but any weld on a rail other then a thermite weld can not be compared to say the strength of a mild steel to mild steel weld. Carbon content is what makes it an iffy under taking. A/O welding is really the best way to weld rail, temps below 2700 degrees. Rail is already brittle because of the carbon and when you strik an arc you can put as much as 6000 degrees to it making it worse yet. If you have a failure it will not be a bend, it will be a break.

Last edited:
My Grandpa built this splitter 20+ years ago and its still going strong with a railroad rail. The biggest problem with it is that its too low and I am always bending over when using it.

SPLITTER.JPG

Billy

/Biggest wedge I've ever seen on a splitter! guys above talked me out of rr track, but I'm glad to see it can be done.

/Biggest wedge I've ever seen on a splitter! guys above talked me out of rr track, but I'm glad to see it can be done.

I think it was said it can be done, just better things to use for a splitter beam and I still stand by that. His wedge Idea looks good, at least 4 feet of weld spread out but I cant see what is holding the end of the cylinder.

Latest posts

Back