Rain, rain , rain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
With all the excessive rain and high humidity here in SE Oklahoma, I'm having trouble with mold on the lumber I'm cutting on my band mill. I don't have a dry kiln, and have to air dry. Even covered, protected from the moisture, the mold is having a ball ! Is there something that I can do to kill the mold, or keep it from forming ? Help! Thanks for any ideas?

Judge

You need to keep up air circulation to keep the mold from forming in the first place. Not sure of what you can do once it has started growing. If you can get a fan of some sorts out there to keep a breeze blowing, it will help. With all this rain you guys have been getting, it's going to be hard.

Mark

I have the same problem sometimes just because of the constant high humidity. If you can't prevent it I've had luck with wiping the lumber with a mild bleach solution to remove the mold stain when I wanted to use it in the rough. Otherwise I'd just plane it off as the stain very rarely goes deeper than the surface.

I have the same problem sometimes just because of the constant high humidity. If you can't prevent it I've had luck with wiping the lumber with a mild bleach solution to remove the mold stain when I wanted to use it in the rough. Otherwise I'd just plane it off as the stain very rarely goes deeper than the surface.

As is often the case, aggie and I have similar experiences and do the same thing accordingly. I too sometimes get mold right after I sticker and the boards are still wet AND it happens to be exceptionally hot and humid. As long as there is air flow however, it rarely lasts, and the little there is, like aggies says, only stains the surface and planes right off. After a few weeks of stickering and the outside surface of the board is fairly dry, this rarely happens anymore. I too apply bleach to my lumber sometimes. I use strait bleach right out of the bottle (think it's 5% hypo) and use a paint roller/tray to do so and it goes on quick and works well.

On rare occasions I have gotten a whitish (mold?) growth on my redcedar boards after they have been dried, and dead stacked in a pile. It looks almost like white glass wool fibers, grows a thin layer lightly covering the board. Not sure if it is even mold since board is relatively dry, but it brushes right off.

On rare occasions I have gotten a whitish (mold?) growth on my redcedar boards after they have been dried, and dead stacked in a pile. It looks almost like white glass wool fibers, grows a thin layer lightly covering the board. Not sure if it is even mold since board is relatively dry, but it brushes right off.

Sounds like fungus amungus to me.

Latest posts

Back