Rayco Mini Work Force Versus??? I need a grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want small, but not micro, I also think that self propelled is the way to go. I have looked here and read every post with the word stump cutter in it and am a little overwhelmed. I dont do larger stumps, maybe 12" or so, but I want to get a decent machine for around $3500 max and wanted opinions on smaller to mid sized cutters.

The Alpine Magnum seems overpriced to me and no dealer support.
Carrlton has no support here in Indy either.
Vermeer is not self propelled in this class.
Merrymack? Mackissic.com The local rental yard uses them, but no local dealers here.

What should I look at in the midwest...Used would be great if you have one..?

Last edited:
Never heard of them but looks nearly like a Vermeer mini. Can't say I have anything nice to say about them. I have a Vermeer but almost never use it. I usually figure a way to use the bigger machines. They are very slow. They don't cut very good and very difficult to get any depth out of them as the blade diameter is way to small.

Same exact machine as the Vermeer. They make them for Vermeer. You can rent these at Home Depot - then you will never buy one!!!

Get a used self propelled hydraulic control machine. All those handlebar machines are waaaaay too much work!

Bigstumps said:
Get a used self propelled hydraulic control machine. All those handlebar machines are waaaaay too much work!

What kinda $$ are we talkin here? I really did not want to finance anything. I usually only work on smaller trees and stumps and did not really consider a larger machine as I dont want to mash a yard etc.. It must be a walk behind unit of some sort..

Hi,
I have the Rayco mini work force,it goes where a lot of other machines cannot..I have taken out a four foot dia stump in about 35 to 40 mins once it has been cut as low to the ground as possible,and yes it was a workout but the bigger machines would not fit through the passage way..me personally I think this machine is good investment.
All The Best

What model do you have? I am looking at an older Rayco 20hp (no hydro-stat) and a used Dosko 691 SP (powered wheels) and I do not know if the hydrostatic drive is really worth the thousands more on a 13 to 20 hp sized machine in general? I was thinking a winch on the trailer to load it, but dragging it through the yard may take a few pounds off my fat arse...

I recently bought a used Ram 20 hp handlebar with hydrostatic drive,(looks identical to a rayco). I've only used it a couple times but I couldn't imagine pusing it,(600+lbs) up hills, over curbs, or loading it without. It's also nice when you have a big pile of chippings to manuvere through.

Hi Hoosier,
We have the rg 13 I think its the smallest one they sell, works for us.
All The Best

Thanks for the input guys...

I found a used retired rental RG-20 for a decent price. It is not self propelled though and that has me concerned, it has the same chassis as the RG-13 (not the II) and smaller wheels etc.. But I guyss I could put a winch on the trailer for it.

I am also waiting to find out more on a Dosko 691sp, that is a self propelled unit, and it is also used, I dont know if it is in my budget yet....

Man I hate spending money on a grinder going into winter... Do you guys get much stump work when nobody is outside?

Latest posts

Back