Which stump grinder for the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lone wolf will roll his eyes around,,,but i bought a 630B. In very good shape. I did 2 stumps today with it.
A couple questions.

What is the small grinding wheel on the left of the main wheel for? It has 3 teeth on it.

How much radius on the cutting tooth until it is considered dull?

218 bucks to put green teeth on it. Worth while?

The small wheel is to provide clearance so the bottom part of the pulley drive does not hit dirt and stop the swing. It's a great idea. I had a 630B for 15 plus years. Not that that's a good thing. It was very reliable, easy to work on, just a little slow. And it's a tow behind. In your application should not be an issue. As far as radius on teeth look at the chips you are making, are they chips ? Or is it dust or fuzz? Does the motor seem to load up? These things are just as important when it comes to teeth as radius on the tooth. Sharp teeth are huge on a relatively low horsepower machine like a 630. Sharp teeth=longer motor and drive life. Good luck, be safe

Lone wolf will roll his eyes around,,,but i bought a 630B. In very good shape. I did 2 stumps today with it.
A couple questions.

What is the small grinding wheel on the left of the main wheel for? It has 3 teeth on it.

How much radius on the cutting tooth until it is considered dull?

218 bucks to put green teeth on it. Worth while?
:rolleyes:

Have you called a professional for a price? I know you want to do them but... You could very well be in way more money trying to do them yourself rather than hiring it out.

I had a 630B 29hp gas motor when I first got in the tree biz. Used it for a few years and in 1990 got a Rayco 1665 65hp gas motor. It was six times as fast at least on the stump. Sold the 630B and wouldn't recommend one even to my worst enemy.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm so glad I have this :) That stump was 50 inch took me a whole 20 mins to grind to 6 inch below grade 60 hp turbo diesel and shaft drive

Attachments

• stumps.jpg
    stumps.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
Have you called a professional for a price? I know you want to do them but... You could very well be in way more money trying to do them yourself rather than hiring it out.
No way it could be cheaper. I need to grind at my convenience. I will not cut hundreds of trees down,,then grind them. I will grind as i cut,,which will be many different times over the next couple years.

When i get done with it, i will recover some or all of my purchase price,,minus any maint costs that occur.

No way it could be cheaper. I need to grind at my convenience. I will not cut hundreds of trees down,,then grind them. I will grind as i cut,,which will be many different times over the next couple years.

When i get done with it, i will recover some or all of my purchase price,,minus any maint costs that occur.
I base my grinding on volume, 50 stumps mixed size lets say grind and leave 15 per stump so 750 I'll be done in 4 hours. You are never going to beat that :p

I have done 11 stumps so far. I like it! It does have greenteeth on it. I have done a couple 30 inch ones, the rest were 15 or less.

Maybe because i am hobby grinding and not making a living,,but it works great for me. I am glad i did not get a self propelled grinder. Pulling it thru the woods with my little tractor works perfectly.

I did see a couple more modern ones in action,,and lusted after them,,,but they were too much money for what i need. I would have to work them for payback. I do not have time for that.

I have done 11 stumps so far. I like it! It does have greenteeth on it. I have done a couple 30 inch ones, the rest were 15 or less.

Maybe because i am hobby grinding and not making a living,,but it works great for me. I am glad i did not get a self propelled grinder. Pulling it thru the woods with my little tractor works perfectly.

I did see a couple more modern ones in action,,and lusted after them,,,but they were too much money for what i need. I would have to work them for payback. I do not have time for that.
Are you towing it from the back of the vehicle? Cause i put a tow hitch on the front of my truck to push that dinosaur around more easily.

I pull it on the back of a little 30hp massey. Same tractor that pulls the woodwagon and splitter around. It is 98 degrees out there right now, or i would be out there cutting today. Too hot!

Latest posts

Back