Re-Manufacturing a Recoil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
First, this thread will be of little use to anyone because it relates to an obscure saw, but I thought it came out cool and maybe will be an inspiration to others in similar circumstances. I have a McCulloch-branded clone of a Zenoah GZ4000 (the subject of this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-first-strato-porting-job.250199/ - made by Jenn Feng), and it has a "Smooth Pull" easy start system. I didn't initially mind it really, but the end of the big spring broke once already (it was VERY difficult to repack), and I knew it was only a matter of time until it went again. The increased compression after the mod didn't help. I had a spare, but gave it to a friend as I thought the design was weak, and figured the next time it broke I would defeat the easy start system anyway.

So today it broke, but not the way I expected! The assembly kind of jambed up too and would not retract:
IMG_1216-800.jpg
The big spring was still intact. So now I was in a pickle, as the saw is from 2005 and parts are not available. While it is GZ4000-based very few parts will swap, including the recoil assembly or internals. I looked around at my piles of parts, and could not help noticing that a Poulan Wild Thing starter pulley was darn close:
IMG_1224-800.jpg
Even the spring width and extension on the bottom of the pulley was the same. The problem was that the Poulan pulley was intended for a wider, shorter center post. I looked around and noticed my collection of spent CO2 cartridges, which have been quite useful stock in the past. The 3/4" OD and ~0.650" ID were about right. So I used a step bit to bore out the Poulan pulley, but not all the way through:

IMG_1213-800.jpg
I put a 3/4" flat washer in there, but had to drill the center out to 7/16", which was a bit difficult. Here is the CO2 cartridge tube:

IMG_1214-800.jpg
It looks a bit short because it will need to clear the spring at the bottom, or the end of the spring may not seat properly. Here is the tube test fit into the pulley:

IMG_1215-800.jpg
I used the spring from the Poulan, but I think either would have worked:

IMG_1225-800.jpg
I needed a bit of a spacer at the top, and found the nylon washer from something - an old plumbing fixture I think. I had to drill the center out to 7/16" too, which was again annoying:

IMG_1226-800.jpg
I glued the tube inside the pulley with JB Qwik, as it is not under much stress. Here it is finished:

IMG_1227-800.jpg
I used the McCulloch line which is a little thinner, and I will probably replace it once I get some more. It started and ran perfectly, and feels much better than the Smooth Pull did. The saw will get a lot more use now, as I've been kind of avoiding taking it to the woods due to the weak starter.

redfin

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Very nice work Chris. I enjoy very much repurposing/repairing around my house.

My ideas follow me to work. We use air dryers to provide our cables dry/low pressure air to hold back water in our plant. We had a dryer failing. Bossman wanted to spend capital budget to purchase new because the parts are nla for the aging dryer.

I completely rebuilt the unit with parts that are currently available. Roughly saved the company 15k. Its just very satisfying for me as it is a lot of us to do this.

LegDeLimber

LegDeLimber

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm an old fart and hate those bungie-start recoils as I prefer the tactile feedback of the old style recoil for my way of cranking things.
Always a gentle tug to set the pawls and then firm, but increasing speed pull-through
to match the increasing speed of the mass I'm moving.
You will *never* break a recoil with that method.
much easier on the equipment, doesn't jerk screws loose, bend pawls
bust pulleys, break ropes, etc.

I also hate that those springs are buried in the middle of all half-shaft equipment.
i.e. string trimmers. blowers & so forth.
Have had a couple of blowrs & trimmers given to me because the shop charge to dismantle
a box store blower to access the recoil was too much vs the cost of new blower.

Edit: Bt the way, anyone know what model pulley (non bungie) will fit the poulan pp5020??

Latest posts