Reaction to the recent storms by the utilities (Power line ROWs)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any different than setting up any other generator? Manual transfer switch. Since you have electrical engineer as your occupation, you have a few steps on me as far as becoming off the grid self reliant. Since they essentially putter along, I'd assume they are relatively easy to keep quiet....put it in a shed?
I don't have one, I only wish I did. I would think you'd want it in a shed or other out building, and yes, they are supposed to be pretty quiet, or at least have a less annoying type of sound than a higher RPM engine. From a generator point of view they would not be any different than any other type. Our neighbor has a large propane gas powered unit that apparently kicks on automatically. A big generator and and an automatic transfer switch would be nice, but my little gen is a just a 5kW portable, and I wired up a separate outlet on the porch and a cheater cord. It's all manual.

Per the OP: I posted this in the Lehigh valley thread last night. They are going to TOWN on the line on my property & it had the 50' ROW clear. They are going WAY back aggressively out of the ROW to get any ones that MAY cause a problem in the future. Making quite a mess. 4 full truck crews and a tracked skid steer. Rain kept them out today but they said they have about a week more.

"There is SO much damage & really nice hardwood down that anywhere around the area that all of Lehigh County should be ripe for picking (but particularly from Coopersburg up to Emmaus) .

My land extends up South MTN and has a PPL 69kv line across it. Well, just today the contracted Aspulndh guys just heaped several piles (most branches & tops) about 20'w X 12'h X 80'l off the bottom of the cut. Not too happy about that. Mostly poplar & oak and I got all the c..p. However, I do like the power on and support the more aggressive trimming, but this is ridiculous. They are going to "level them out" tomorrow. Now, if I could get them to stack the logs my way... "
So PPL is working on the transmission level stuff, but I'm not seeing them out on distribution level lines. There's a lot more energy (and therefore money) tied up in transmission lines - serious contracts and such, plus more stringent requirements and more visibility. I wonder if First Energy is doing anything?

If they're out of the right of way on your property, it's your call how or if they do it.

Thanks for the thought. I actually misspoke before, I have TWO piles that size! I went up and talked to them beforehand, checked out the marked trees and was told everything was left where it was dropped. Not the case here - just like other stuff it "flows downhill"! Can't say that I blame them as it was the easiest route.

All kidding aside, I had more standing & deadfall to last many years BEFORE these two storms. Now, afterwards, I can't imagine being able to get to the stuff along the ROW. Also, it would be a pain to get into the power line cut with tractor or truck/trailer except for the long way in where in crosses the road. My new Husky 576xp is eating it up though and I can't believe that I got by before w/out. This weekend I had to drop 4 mangled ones along the line near my neighbors property including a maple tied up around a huge oak. Took my tractor, rope winch and 3 hours of head scratching to safely bust that one up getting it off & down.

Regarding the generator: I bit the bullet on a Briggs& Stratton 5500K during Irene and was very happy to run the well pump this time. Of course, heat was no issue!

Father was a lineman for 35 years in CT. When he started there were 50 lineman in his area. When he retired, 20. During that time the population in his service area exploded. Had the need for electricity gone down? Human greed is a scary thing.

Back