Rebel mimosa?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie267

Reaction score
I live in Texas, Houston/Galveston area, and recently purchased a home that has NO trees or plants anywhere to speak of. Desperate for shade and flowers I bought a young mimosa hoping it would be true to it's name. It's been a full year and it's grown very well. My dismay is set in the fact that it hasn't bloomed at all. Mimosas all around the neighborhood seem to be at peak and mine, however, has spawned hundreds of pods. We water frequently, if anything.... too frequently. Will I see any blooms this year? Should I water less? (The lawn is watered about 2 times a week for about an hour each time). Or do I own a rebel mimosa that I should solely take pleasure in it's shade?

If it's got pods, it had flowers. Must be a different variety than you were expecting...........

Either that or the "pods" are actually buds that haven't opened yet.

the mimosa tree is usually considered an invasive tree. Im not sure of the status in your area, but you should check with the local dept. of forestry to see what the status is, you can also check here:
http://www.invasive.org/

These trees are not long lived and will not provide you with what you are looking for in the long term (do a search on mimosa and read some articles, i think the average life span is only 15-20 yrs). The rapid growth comes at the expense of good structural wood development.

Planting native trees would be best to get what your looking for (fast growth and good structure for shading. I relized that there may be a lot of these trees growing in your neighborhood, but I recommend trying to plant natives as much as possible. check this site out!
http://horticulture.tamu.edu:7998/ornamentals/FMPro

good luck, native trees will provide for the present and future!

Back