Rebuilding an 026. Only runs with choke open.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it hard for someone mechanically inclined?

Ordering this carb rebuild kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-WALBR...455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46292cd02f

There seems to be a range of different cyl rebuild kits from China
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-44mm-Cy...359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e0cf1567

Saying this as clearly and deliberately as possible: not interested in ideological abstractions or theories about Chinese produced goods all being junk, etc. I source spec parts from China, so I know the painful truth and the under-appreciated truth alike. I am interested in anyone who has any practical, real world, non-theoretical, first hand experience with such kits in terms of tolerances and durability.

How bad is your cylinder?may just go with a new meteor piston.if your cylinder is clean or if it will clean up if its scored.if it looks OK then rering it and run it.
I've only bought 1 Chinese kit and that broke me from buying another one no matter what brand.

Nope, an 026 is an easy saw to work on. You need a t27 star driver and a 8mm socket to take 90% of the saw apart.

To get the carb off you need to take the black piece off the top of the handle with the screw in the back bottom of the handle. That allows you to remove the throttle linkage and slide the carb off.

Whats wrong with the piston and cylinder? if it will only run on choke, could be an early sign of an air leak.

If it only runs with the choke on, your carb is super lean. Richen it up. Why do you think you need a new engine?

Stay away from Chinese crap. You buy cheap, you buy twice. Trust me please. Learn from others' mistakes.

The carb kit is a good place to start. I'd also think about the fuel line and filter. As mentioned above, some of the kits are pure junk, others no so much. The Tecomec and Meteor kits from Italy have been proven as good runners. If it needs a piston and rings, the preferred kit is Meteor with Caber rings.

If buying a complete top end, consider the 44.7mm kit for a few extra ponies, same price. Some guy's have had bad experiences from bad kits but there are also some very good experiences out there, do your research. Buy from a reputable dealer, look for a warranty or at least a dealer that stands behind their kits.

Saw is pretty easy to work on if inclined and may be enjoyable to do yourself while enjoying a cold refreshment! Acquire a parts list and shop manual to get the picture. Where in Virginia? Maybe enlist a member close to you for guidance and make a new buddy.

Welcome again, see you joined in 2007 and only 10 posts... maybe you weren't welcomed correctly before.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try rebuilding the carb system first. I just assumed 'why not rebuild it all' but I realise that sentiment is often times irrational, so I appreciate y'all reeling me back in to reality.

Welcome again, see you joined in 2007 and only 10 posts... maybe you weren't welcomed correctly before.
No nothing like that. Topical forums in general tend to fetishize objects (doesn't matter what kind of foum; gun forum, guitar forum, chainsaw forum) which really isn't my style, however forums are spectacular resources for knowledge on an as-needed basis, ergo my low post count. I realized long ago when I spent more time on gun forums talking about guns than I did actually shooting them that there was something horribly wrong with the formula, so these days I self-limit my use of forums to when I need to know something relevant to something I'm doing in real life, like rebuilding a chainsaw that I'm using to cut down trees to make log furniture ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try rebuilding the carb system first.

Have you tuned the carb properly yet? I didn't see if you ever answered that. Before you just take things apart, let's work with what's there first.

Man, what's with all these "026/260 not running" threads lately, I thought they had a good reputation. *shrug*

Hope you get things straightened out!

The 026 is usually the first pro saw that a homeowner buys. Not knowing how to maintain them, the saws get treated like a Home Depot throwaway, causing us to frequently see the 026 family in disrepair. They also probably sold WAY more 026's than any of the bigger saws. In shear numbers, there are more threads.

The 026 is usually the first pro saw that a homeowner buys. Not knowing how to maintain them, the saws get treated like a Home Depot throwaway, causing us to frequently see the 026 family in disrepair. They also probably sold WAY more 026's than any of the bigger saws. In shear numbers, there are more threads.

Makes sense, I know they are very popular saws!

Have you tuned the carb properly yet? I didn't see if you ever answered that. Before you just take things apart, let's work with what's there first.

I'll start there. I've never worked on one of these before but they seem simple enough.

Man, what's with all these "026/260 not running" threads lately, I thought they had a good reputation. *shrug*

Hope you get things straightened out!
Old machine bought used. Well within expectations to have to do some work to it at this point in its service life. If I had bought it last year brand new, we'd have a problem but I purchased it used some years ago and live on 14 rural acres, so, its acceptable to tune it up after all the use its seen.

I'll start there. I've never worked on one of these before but they seem simple enough.

Yeah, let's get you comfortable tuning the saw before you start ripping it apart. There's a natural progression of things..... haha And this may just be a simple tuning issue. We just don't know at this point.

Old machine bought used. Well within expectations to have to do some work to it at this point in its service life. If I had bought it last year brand new, we'd have a problem but I purchased it used some years ago and live on 14 rural acres, so, its acceptable to tune it up after all the use its seen.

Well considering I bought the 350 in my sig used a couple months ago and it's currently being shipped off to be rebuilt, I completely understand what you are saying! Unfortunately it seems like I bought a saw that was patched up to run, but that is the risk you take when buying used I suppose.

I just found it odd that so many 026/260 threads were popping up at the same time. Guess that might have something to do with the fact that it is peak season for firewood cutting, at least around here.

If it only runs on choke, the first thing I'd do is check for an air leak. Pay close attention to the flywheel side crank seal, they're a known issue.

Back