Rebuilding MS291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I seen a thread about this and what parts will interchangeable with it but I can't find it now.
I got my old 291 that I burned up to a friend to rebuild but we can't find a cylinder.
He took the exhaust off and the piston is gaulded.
That's when he called me, he didn't anything about the cylinder but I would assume I need to change it to but we can't find one for the MS291 other than a set for over $300....I've done got a 391 so don't HAVE to have this old 291, especially for that cost.
Can anyone help me out for what parts will fit it??

6114266ef3ec544c4308adc6d2a952e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Pistons are inexpensive. Are you sure you need a new cylinder? Pull it apart and look at it closely.
Will do. He didn't mention it, I just it'd probably need it but I'm no mechanic.
The piston and pins is all I have found for it

Will do. He didn't mention it, I just it'd probably need it but I'm no mechanic.
The piston and pins is all I have found for it

At $300 for a new cylinder the saw is not worth rebuilding. But if the cylinder is only lightly damaged it could be worth honing it smooth and popping in a new piston. Might run real good for a number of years.

At $300 for a new cylinder the saw is not worth rebuilding. But if the cylinder is only lightly damaged it could be worth honing it smooth and popping in a new piston. Might run real good for a number of years.
That was my thoughts as well.

The 291's and 271's cylinder will interchange but the only option is OEM no aftermarket cylinders available. OEM is too expensive for that saw not worth it. There are pistons available just no cylinders.

Back