Recommend a compression tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for a good small engine compression tester, like to buy American made if I can. I've seen the kind that attach via a hose to sparkplug hole, and another type that the body threads directly to plug hole. Anything to look for that makes one type better than another?

thanks

John

Would it make sense to pick one with as short of a hose as possible? This is my dilemma as I need a new compression tester, just seems logical that a short hose would take less time to load up and possibly have a higher (more accurate) reading as it would flex less.

I use a Lisle 20250 (bought on the recommendation of someone else here on AS). Very pleased with it. Made in USA, too.

Would it make sense to pick one with as short of a hose as possible? This is my dilemma as I need a new compression tester, just seems logical that a short hose would take less time to load up and possibly have a higher (more accurate) reading as it would flex less.

Yes, I had one with no hose that I really liked but I loaned it to someone:rolleyes:

Later,

I looked up the lisle 20250 and it has the release valve up by the gauge, and not by the tip. I thought we wanted gauges with a Schrader valve by the tip.

The check valve that allows the cylinder to pump air into the gauge is in the threaded end. There is another schrader valve on the side, which you can use to release the pressure without unscrewing the gauge from the engine.

The thing to check for, and I'm not sure about this Lisle model, is that the main check valve is right out in the spark plug threads, not set back 1-2" in a thread adapter.

Last edited:
OK, I know that I tend to exaggerate sometimes just for effect........

So what is the verdict? Seems there should be a decent gauge appropriate for chainsaw engines that costs about $60 or so, I would think. WHat are some recommendations? How do I tell where the check valve is?
Are there some models that are designed for small motors? Thanks.

Wow! My 1200th post!

Last edited:
I'm gonna go pick up a harbor freight tester. I will let you know how it does. I think its about 20 bucks.

I'd check at pawn shops. I have bought many tools at pawn shops, including my Snap-on comp tester. I'd take a used snap-on over a new HF one.

kyle how much is it ? and who do i contact to get this if i need to replace the one i have thanks
calvin

I paid $22.97 from Amazon.com a while ago, but I think the price went up.

The check valve that allows the cylinder to pump air into the gauge is in the threaded end. There is another schrader valve on the side, which you can use to release the pressure without unscrewing the gauge from the engine.

The thing to check for, and I'm not sure about this Lisle model, is that the main check valve is right out in the spark plug threads, not set back 1-2" in a thread adapter.

The main valve on the Lisle is way out on the tip, as far out as you can get.
I'd check at pawn shops. I have bought many tools at pawn shops, including my Snap-on comp tester. I'd take a used snap-on over a new HF one.

Absolutely!

Well I got the compression tester today at HF. It worked perfectly fine. It is the quick release one with a 10mm, 12mm, and a 14mm adapter. It was 26 bucks. I like it cause its long enough to give you room to move the saw around with out the compression tester flopping around and worrying about moving it. I think with the adapter attached its probably two and a half feet long.

i always thought spending alot of money on brand name pressure measurment devices was a waste. doesnt matter if its snap on, mac, grey etc, theyre only as good as the gauge on the end. provided it configured properly for your application, you could always buy a cheap gauge and then replace the gauge with a quality gauge and have a tool at least as good as the pro types.

Ordered the Lisle

Well, I ordered the Lisle. $27 and change, free shipping.
Thanks for all the advice and info. AS is one place where the advice is worth more than you pay for it. :clap:

When it arrives, I'll be wanting to know the correct procedure for using it.
I am assuming it is sort of like a car....choke off, throttle open, pull several times. Man, a guy who could pull start a car motor, well, I'd want him on my side, yessir.

Oh, I suppose one should not engage the compression release during this procedure.......just a thought.:greenchainsaw:

Back