Recommend bars & chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natenkiki2004

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I've got 2 chainsaws; Lombard AL42 (or similar) and a Craftsman version of the Poulan 3700. I'm still kind of a beginner when it comes to this stuff and I'm looking to step up and start investing in the saws.

Both take 3/8" pitch chain and both have .050" gauge 20" bars on them currently. Pretty sure they're both 70dl as well. Both saws also measure in at 5/16" on the bar slot although the Lombard has an "adapter" for the 3/8" slot Windsor (replaceable tip) bar it has. The Craftsman seems to have the original bar that only goes one way (can't flip it over), it has more of a rounded nose on the bottom side.

I have 4 chains, 2 of them are pretty worn and probably won't survive another sharpening. The other two have a fair amount of meat left but they're both full-comp anti-kickback chains which I feel they might be holding these saws back. The Craftsman bar seems to be heavily used, the nose sprocket teeth are pretty worn. The bar on the Lombard is nice but Windsor seems to have been bought out a few times and buying replacement noses might not be cost effective.

So, what I'm unsure about is, what bars and chains would be good? As it stands currently, I use the Lombard more since it's reliable and runs well. I think the Craftsman needs a carb kit as I can't get it adjusted and it'll die after a while. Once tuned up, I'd prefer the Craftsman since it seems most people like them and it's probably 20 years newer than the Lombard :)

I like the idea of a full skip semi chisel chain since my cutting varies. Some of it is tree trimming, some of it is firewood cutting, sometimes I rip pallets up (hopefully avoiding nails). Just various things. I don't earn a living from the saw or rely on it for winter heating, cutting trees down. The cutting doesn't have to be super quick but it would be nice to have a clean cut for pruning (maybe a dedicated square chisel chain just for that?).

Any thoughts/comments on my situation are welcome, thanks for reading.

Any major brand of chain would Probably serve you fine. I would stick with an anti kick back chain though as far as bars go ive had good luck with forester bars on my lower use saws and their cheaper than most major brands .

Back