Recommendations for homelite 150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersammy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have a ms361 with a 20" bar that I use for felling trees and a homelite 150 with 16" bar for limbing and clean up work. I get some of my wood from a lawn care service that cuts wood various sizes ranging from 14-24". I use the homelite for cutting long pieces of firewood into 16" lengths for the stove. I throw a long log into a round with a V cut in it to hold the log and cut it to 16", then throw the usable piece into a wagon, set the homelite down on the ground and load another log on the cutting block. I don't use the ms361 for shorting logs because I can't see myself setting it on the ground.

Nothing is wrong with the homelite except it has no balls and cuts slow. The homelite currently runs .375 chain, 50 gauge, 60 DL but I have been thinking about switching to .325 chain/bar/sprocket combo. Would the smaller chain cut faster? Or should I replace the homelite with a ms180, ms250. I also like the idea of adding a ms260 to the lineup in the future so what every I get now I want to be able to reuse the chain on a ms260. Please help me decide!

buy the 260 now

If it was up to me I would buy the dolmar 5100. But you are obviously wanting a stihl.. Why spend money on any saw between now and the time you buy the one you want?Seems like a waste of money to me.

I wondered if I would get better cutting performance by switching to .325 chain/bar combo. I can't afford a new saw right now so I want to get the homelite setup so I can reuse the chains in the future on a ms260. Can a ms260 run .325 pitch chain, .50 gauge, 67 drive lenght?

yes it can..

But why waste any money for maybe a few seconds in a cut on a decent sized chunk of wood?
Stay with what you have.. save the money and put it towards a faster saw later on.
This bunch of folks here will have you beyond broke buying chainsaws if you listen to us.. I only had two when I came here now I have to many.

i use my 036 almost exclusivly just cause its light
the only time i use my 019t is when i have too much cutting for my pull saw and the 066 is just downright big . use what you got and tinker with that 150 and see if you can re-ring it for cheap

what the hey ....its paid for

Is this your saw ?

The oregon 72 chain it came with, puts quite a load on a 43 cc saw. Oregon 91VX chain should fit your saw. It cuts a smaller kerf in the wood and will put less load on the engine letting it cut faster. Stihl makes a low-profile chisel chain but I'm not sure what the part # is to recommend.

A chain or two is cheaper than a bar, sprocket and chains. Besides, trying to hunt down a 0.325 pitch sprocket and bar for an older saw, might not be an easy task. But a couple loops of 59 or 60 DL 91P/VX shouldn't be hard to find.

Richening the carb a bit on the H-speed jet and opening up the exit ports in the muffler for easier breathing will liven it up.

But why waste any money for maybe a few seconds in a cut on a decent sized chunk of wood?
Stay with what you have.. save the money and put it towards a faster saw later on.
This bunch of folks here will have you beyond broke buying chainsaws if you listen to us.. I only had two when I came here now I have to many.

he he tom trees:agree2:

Latest posts

Back