Record American Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the recent record is for the american elm? I recent ly looked at an elm that could very well be up there. Is their any info for this online?

Depends on how the tree is measured, American Forests weights crown spread and DBH more than height. American Forests also allows merged multi-trunk trees. There's a wild American Elm in Congaree National Park, South Carolina that was measured at 135' in 2000.

Here's the Eastern Native Tree Society's Eastern Tall Tree List, tallest and largest examples of primarily wild native trees in the east.
-moss

I don't know about elms but I definately worked on the largest wild cherry on Cape two weeks ago. Trunk was at least 4 feet around and as I entered the tree, I walked on two feet only till I was 20 feet off the ground. The limbs were 20" thich and were like walking up stairs. Really cool.

Is there another formula?

link did not open for me.

Here are the ENTS measuring guidelines.

I was incorrect, the formula is the same. The difference is that ENTS are much more strict about not allowing the total CBH to be used for merged multi-trunk trees. The other major difference is height accuracy, the techniques recommended by American Forestry are notoriously inaccurate.
-moss

I don't know about elms but I definately worked on the largest wild cherry on Cape two weeks ago. Trunk was at least 4 feet around and as I entered the tree, I walked on two feet only till I was 20 feet off the ground. The limbs were 20" thich and were like walking up stairs. Really cool.

There's a black cherry at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens in the nature trail section that is a sight for any tree enthusiast to behold. It's as beat up as they get and only around 20' tall but the trunk is at least a 5' dia. Looks like something out of a fairy tale.

Thanks for the info, it's not a record from what I can see but it still is a rare an beautiful tree. The owner wants it down. I am kind of dealing with the owner through a landscraper. I'm trying to talk them into saving it. I would feel really guilty cutting it down.

Exactly. ENTS do tape drop and ground-based clinometer/laser measurements (sine top, sine bottom method) and are consistent within inches for both approaches.
-moss

I measured it at DBH and it came to 58". It's about 80' tall and has a spread of about 75'. Very healthy tree except for the home owner do it yourself trim job of some of the lower branches.

Why on earth would this guy want to remove that tree? Have you explained to him the demise of the American Elm and how rare it is to see a healthy one like that now (at least in my area)??? Maybe you could tell him how the tree adds to his property value. I deal with the same issue though. Had to take down three gorgeous Pin Oaks last Feb. because the guy didn't want to deal with the leaves... It was either do the job or let my competition do it who had already placed a competitive bid. What you gonna do...

Why on earth would this guy want to remove that tree? Have you explained to him the demise of the American Elm and how rare it is to see a healthy one like that now (at least in my area)??? Maybe you could tell him how the tree adds to his property value. I deal with the same issue though. Had to take down three gorgeous Pin Oaks last Feb. because the guy didn't want to deal with the leaves... It was either do the job or let my competition do it who had already placed a competitive bid. What you gonna do...

Like I said, i'm dealing indirectly with the custy through my landscraper/stump guy. I told him the info on the tree but its not the same as if I was doing the talking. The landscraper gets me alot of work and I really don't want to undercut him. I will probably refuse to cut it down if the custy decides to do so. Its like an $8000 dollar tree and I have a good feeling the custy doesn't have that kind of money.

...Its like an $8000 dollar tree and I have a good feeling the custy doesn't have that kind of money.

The only reason a lot of big yard trees are still standing is for that very reason.

You folks know how it is, once a homeowner gets it in their head that the tree is the cause for one of their "problems" (squirrels jumping on the roof, grass won't grow, trees are "dirty" etc etc.) they'll become obsessed with taking it down. Luckily the prospect of spending several grand stops them most of the time.
-moss

Record American Elm Tree

I had understood at one time the record elm was on the Roaring Fork Nature Trail in the Smokies on the TN side. Look up great trees of the eastern United States or a site prepared by Will Blozan, an arborist who looks for the giant trees in the Smokies.

Since a few people are talking about Black Cherry trees. You'll need to go off trail in the backcountry of the Smokies in some of the Old Growth Hemlock stands. You'll see some very large Black Cherry as well as Silverbell -- they have been some of the largest ones I've seen. We have be to busy working with the HWA on the Hemlocks to bring a DBH tape out.

ALso I had thought that one of the champion American Elms were off of the Roaring Forks nature trail on the Tennessee side of the Smokies. A good site would be the ENTS website or Will Blozan's webpage, he's really into finding the giants in the East

Back