Recs for good fixer saws? New guy interested in learning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makey98

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I have no experience with felling or bucking and cutting for firewood, but it is always something I have wanted to do. Truthfully, I want to split more than anything. Now that I am a desk jockey all the time I rarely get a chance to do manual work anymore. My dream is to one day own some land and cut and split for wood stove heat in my hunting cabin but that dream keeps getting pushed further out there....

Anyway, I wanted to learn and get some training and I do have an uncle that heats with wood and has experience and plan to go with him at some point, just haven't had a chance to do that. I also wanted to take a class of some sort because I am very safety conscious. After that, I was thinking about trying to find some farmers with a woods and volunteer my time to cut up fallen trees and split but don't know how that will go. Liability for other people and all. So we will see. Bucking and cutting are always dangerous but on a different level than falling trees it seems, so that seems like a place to start. In the meantime to figure that out......

I was curious on if I eventually bought a chainsaw what I would buy and its fun to look. So I have looked around but one thing I thought might be fun would be to find an old saw and fix it up and learn how they are put together in the process. Dont' have much small engine experience and it might be kind of fun to learn. What do you think about that? I have some concern about using a saw that i personally built, but I thought the same thing about an old gun I put together, but by the time i got it together I knew that gun like the back of my hand.

If I was going to try to buy a cheap saw that was broken or wouldn't run and rebuild it, what is a good one to look for? Or is this a silly idea and I should just wait until I learn how to cut and get some opportunities to practice before i start tinkering with saws? My job just sucks right now and I need a new hobby or something. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.

And what a hobby it is. I've been running Shindaiwa's for years so don't suspect you will be interested in them. Truthfully most of the saws I have gathered were either running or reported to run with fuel in the carb. For the most part a fuel line and a carb kit get them running again. If you get into repairing the internals it's a whole other ball game and one I haven't gotten into......yet.

A good saw to pick up to get started are the Poulans. They are ubiquitous and can be had in non running condition for pretty cheap. (less than $20)
Most of the time, these saws need fuel lines, a carb cleaning (or carb overhaul) and a good chain sharpening.

Chainsaws are relatively simple and all the tools to do almost all the work could fit in your pockets.

A good place to start is ask around if anyone you know has any broken saws. Tell them you want to learn how to repair them and you may be surprised with how many are tucked away in a garage or basement that may come your way for cheap or free.

Take a couple of them apart (completely) with no intent to reassemble them. That way you'll learn how they're built. And then read on the forum here and learn everything you need to know to become a proficient mechanic.

Don't fear these little guys, they're a lot of fun to work on and use. Try out different brands to see what they're about.
Welcome to the madness!

I would either get a cheap Poulan, as plenty of parts are available and they are usually cheap fixers or if you want something a little more powerful and with realsale value, I like stihl 026's. Pro saw and easy to work on.

makey98 I enjoyed reading your post. I'm at the opposite end of the state and spend a fair deal of time logging in Kentucky, but I would take you with and show you how to cut wood or build a new saw anytime. There is a fair amount of guys in the firewood forum from the Northern Illinois. Ask around there. It is really a good service to farmers when a safe and willing practitioner will show up and clear out some dead trees, especially for old timers who can't do it.

I noted in your post that your desire is to split wood. If you've never swung an axe, at your age it can be an education experience in itself. Same with using a sledge hammer. To the men who grew up around such hand tools, it is second nature, but just the opposite for those who've never have. Nothing silly about a man wanting to synchronize himself to a chainsaw in the wood, or where in the swing of an axe he exhilarates his strength to produce the right amount of penetration to split a round of redoak so that it flies apart with a resounding 'Pop'. Such accomplishments bring much satisfaction to many a folk.

Well said, Sagetown. Makey98, if you gan makey a firearm slide across all those respective surfaces, you can get a saw going. I like what fearofpavement said about all the tools fitting in your pocket. Never thought about it like that, but it's quite true. Especially a Stihl 026 like woodeneye is gettitng obsessed with. Off the top of my head, I think you could do practically the whole job with about four tools. A right angle torx driver, chainsaw tool, (scrench) and a pair of needlenose and small flat screwdriver.

Well said, Sagetown. Makey98, if you gan makey a firearm slide across all those respective surfaces, you can get a saw going. I like what fearofpavement said about all the tools fitting in your pocket. Never thought about it like that, but it's quite true. Especially a Stihl 026 like woodeneye is gettitng obsessed with. Off the top of my head, I think you could do practically the whole job with about four tools. A right angle torx driver, chainsaw tool, (scrench) and a pair of needlenose and small flat screwdriver.

how about removing the flywheel? or the clutch?

All very true, and who said I was obsessed? Give me that persons name and I'll, I'll, well I'll thank em for taking notice. 026's are cake walks once you do your first one.

how about removing the flywheel? or the clutch?
I use the scrwench to remove clutches with whatever cheater pipe I can find around and you can carry a little flywheel removal tool in your pocket if you need one. Let's not nitpick generalizations.

I use the scrwench to remove clutches with whatever cheater pipe I can find around and you can carry a little flywheel removal tool in your pocket if you need one. Let's not nitpick generalizations.

you'll need some nylon rope or a piston stopper too ;)

i agree that the 4 original tools you mentioned can do most things.

I mean, I like a heat gun, compression tester, T-handles, magnetic tray, beer huggie, spark plug boot puller, feeler gauges, duplex spring hand piece, ring compressors, screw extractor, trunnion tools, seal drivers..............

But I'm in my forties came from the farm life and rebuilt stuff since I was nine. Me and my brother had a 11/16 to 3/4 double end box wrench we found in a ditch, a broken flat screwdriver, a manual hand drill and a great big pair of channel locks. Pretty soon you start scrounging around for leaf springs and wire to see if you can use what you've got to make tools so you can just get your bike going. We played baseball with a rock until our Grandpa bought us a rubber baseball and gloves at a sale. Frogs and turtles were our pets.

It is always best to start low and slow.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. This site is so refreshing compared to other forums. People really love this stuff and want to help!

Brushape, I might have to take you up on that. Now I live in central Indiana so not too far I have to travel to Boston for work and then more travel later in August but in early September I will contact you if you don't mind and see if we can hook up.
Thanks for all the thoughts, I will get to looking. I was looking at my profile from the comments and I joined this forum quite a long time ago and asked a similar question. I barely even remember that.... Since then I have had two jobs, moved twice and had three kids. Mercy life just passes you by sometimes. Thanks all.

Right on, Dude. For now start combing craigslist and that American Classified shopper you get in the grocery store free. And talk to this crowd. Guys like fearofpavement, zogger and o8f150 and these characters are constantly scrounging up valuable machines some body else wrote off as junk.

We like nothing better than a guy who had the good sense to get on this site years ago. Now your back. It's like the blues, man. Let that boy boogie woogie. It's in him and it's got to come out.

Ha. Thanks Brushape. Well I looked on Craigslist and was surprised to find very few. Have to keep an eye out for barn sales and the like. Lots on eBay. Maybe some that I could pick up locally as well. Anyone have suggestions on what is a good find and what to avoid? Should I just buy a "parts saw" for cheap and tear it down and start from there?

I buy so called "parts saws" all the time and as long as I can get or have the parts, it usually ends up being a few minor fixes. My favorite kinda saw.

The easiest saws I have worked on are the Stihl 026, and ms170/180. Also the Makita DCS6401/6421/7901 and Dolmar versions are also very easy to work on.
Also if you get stuck, there are a lot of people here that will give you stihl or Dolmar help.
If you just want to tear something apart to see how it's put together, anything cheap will do.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. This site is so refreshing compared to other forums. People really love this stuff and want to help!

Brushape, I might have to take you up on that. Now I live in central Indiana so not too far I have to travel to Boston for work and then more travel later in August but in early September I will contact you if you don't mind and see if we can hook up.
Thanks for all the thoughts, I will get to looking. I was looking at my profile from the comments and I joined this forum quite a long time ago and asked a similar question. I barely even remember that.... Since then I have had two jobs, moved twice and had three kids. Mercy life just passes you by sometimes. Thanks all.
For a first timer, or maybe semi-experienced there are some saws I would pass on, which include the Homelite 330, and 150 models and any Mini Mac chainsaw. You really want to start with something which won't discourage you like a Poulan 25 series. Get one that looks decent which shouldn't cost you much more than $20 as was mentioned, these saws are as basic as you can get.
As far as splitting, after reaching retirement age I spent $1000 and bought a log splitter...not to worry, I get plenty of exercise handling the wood before and after it is split.

Latest posts

Back