Recs for good fixer saws? New guy interested in learning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site, It's the first step to becoming afflicted with CAD and a better saw mechanic. I find the old Homelites and Macs are fun and easy to tear down and rebuild, Poulans, old Remingtons fit into the same category. Most of mine are found at auctions and yard sales for few $. Asking around at dealers often gets a parts saw or some pieces. E-bay got me some cheap Homies and Macs, AS got me some saws with trades. Keep checking this site for possibilities and ask often, you'll find some good deals here.

A good saw to pick up to get started are the Poulans. They are ubiquitous and can be had in non running condition for pretty cheap. (less than $20)
Most of the time, these saws need fuel lines, a carb cleaning (or carb overhaul) and a good chain sharpening.

I agree. I picked up a non running Poulan woodshark at a yard sale for $20. It had a practically new chain so just the chain alone was almost worth the 20 dollars. It showed little signs of use, and that chain was probably the original one. Probably the saw had sat in someones basement for a long time with gas in it and the carb had gummed up. After a carb rebuild using a cheap Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and a new carb kit, the saw runs very well. I use it from time to time just to keep it in running condition. It's very light and fun to use. For novice tinkering, these little yellow box store Poulans are a good place to start.

Fix a few lawnmowers, weedeaters for neighbors then let them know if they have old tools laying around you will take them. I have old saws at the farm that were given to me for years. Fixed a nearly new Poulan 2450 that was in the barn for 7 years, i was bored and needed something to do. Some fuel lines, carb kit and a chain now it runs great so i had to try a muffler mod. It screams now.

Being a gearhead/mechanic and a hoarder i have refound saws to mess with, much cheaper than racecars and fast boats.

Saws or most any 2 stroke tools are easy to learn, cheap, and fun/addictive.
Check neighbors garages, yard sales, and people moving. You can find saws cheap/free to feed your new found addiction.

Have fun.

I have been "given" several dead plastic saws just by stopping at local small engine shops to see what they have.

They are great to learn on, some needed fuel system worked on and some needed the jugs cleaned up and reringed. I have repaired and given them away to my friends that needed them. Great luck to you, I enjoy working on these things very much.

It's a great hobby. From bringing saws back from the dead to spliting firewood. The tradin post here is a good place to find some good saws at a decend price. A course in safe chainsaw operation is a good idea, except I don't know any round this neck of the woods. I always could use help bucking, splitting on the farm. I usually do it after hunting season before the big snows block all the farms.

Best way to learn on saws is dive right in. Get something cheap and complete and not beat to death. Learn by fixing it. You will learn what to look for this way as you start to look at more significant professional saws. This lessens the opportunity that you will get burned on a POS. Although, getting burned on a POS is a fabulous learning experience by itself. ;)

My first rebuild was a Stihl 024 purchased for $50. It ran but didn't idle. Great experience, learnt a lot! Did it slowly and carefully about 3 yrs ago and haven't looked back. The 024 is slightly unloved c/w with the 026 and can often be had for a much better price and in better condition. Great little saw and easy to work on.

Stick to bigger brands so you'll have a better chance of finding parts. This site, parts/mechanic manuals and youtube are your friends.

My first rebuild was a Stihl 024 purchased for $50. It ran but didn't idle. Great experience, learnt a lot! Did it slowly and carefully about 3 yrs ago and haven't looked back. The 024 is slightly unloved c/w with the 026 and can often be had for a much better price and in better condition. Great little saw and easy to work on.

Stick to bigger brands so you'll have a better chance of finding parts. This site, parts/mechanic manuals and youtube are your friends.
You suck :)

Great buy on the 024

Sent from my G526-L22

00h0h_7Qdpt6BiGSH_600x450.jpg

You're not lookin' hard enough. lol

Some good advice going on here across the board. Another source of good reading would be to download a pdf of a Stihl manual and there is a real good instruction on falling and bucking timber. Even some on big trees. I just checked and you can even still download a manual for my first saw an 028 AV and that was 29 years ago.

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/STIHL028_with_safety_manual.pdf

They are all the same when you get down on the rudiments. That's how my Dad had me learn so I then knew what questions to ask.

Ditto on the Poulan 25 as easy to work on. $10 around here, non running - and it's usually carb cleaning and diaphragms or fuel line. And you can substitute MS 170-180 carb clone that can be had for $8-$10 on fleabay. Just need to drill a new throttle rod hole to match. Non running 33cc-42cc "wild thing" or Craftsman are $10-$15. But they have primer bulbs - 2 more fuel lines to route. And routing the tiny .080 line into tank is a bit of a pain. Tygon fuel line is cheap at Oreillys but you gotta order .080.

Thanks to all for the responses. I am looking for some tinkering saws and then will try to setup some time with Brushape and maybe this KY gtg. Appreciated. I will keep you guys updated on what I get, I am sure I will have questions!!

00h0h_7Qdpt6BiGSH_600x450.jpg

You're not lookin' hard enough. lol

Some good advice going on here across the board. Another source of good reading would be to download a pdf of a Stihl manual and there is a real good instruction on falling and bucking timber. Even some on big trees. I just checked and you can even still download a manual for my first saw an 028 AV and that was 29 years ago.

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/STIHL028_with_safety_manual.pdf

They are all the same when you get down on the rudiments. That's how my Dad had me learn so I then knew what questions to ask.
Great link as well. I will read it tommorow! Appreciated.

Back